Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Quick Banana Ice Cream = A Tropicalicious Sundae

It is an inevitable occurrence that all the apple bananas in my CSA box ripen at exactly the same time. Much as I try to eat them up, I always have some overripe ones leftover and look for good recipes to use them up; usually muffins or bread. I found a recipe for Quick Banana Ice Cream, in April's Olive Magazine. I love ice cream and especially love quick, no fuss ice cream recipes and besides I figure if I am going to splurge occasionally, homemade ice cream is a good way to go. Wanting to use what I had on hand, I replaced the heavy cream with a can of coconut milk. Topped with some bananas, toasted coconut and toasted macadamia nuts, it is the perfect tropical sundae.


Quick Banana Ice Cream
Olive Magazine, April 2009
(Serves 4)
(Cook Time: 10 minutes + 2 Hours freezing)

4 ripe bananas, chopped into chunks
juice of 1/2 lemon
400 ml (13.53 fluid ounces) double cream (or 1 can coconut milk)
75 g golden caster sugar (about 5 1/4 Tbsp)

Whiz everything together in a food processor or blender. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn, (according to the manufacturer's directions) or pour into a freezer-proof box and freeze, stirring every two hours until the mixture solidifies. 

To make the Tropicalicious Sundae, layer banana slices in a bowl, top with ice cream and garnish with more banana and toasted unsweetened coconut flakes and toasted chopped macadamia nuts. Enjoy!


Notes/Results:  Yum! It is creamy and delicious. The banana taste is there but it isn't cloying. I really like the slight coconut flavor that adding the coconut milk gives it. I wanted to try it mostly as written so I used an organic unbleached cane sugar for this batch but I am going to play around with some other sweeteners like agave and see what that and some lite coconut milk does to it. Low-cal, no--but as a splurge, the fact that it has 4 simple ingredients and no preservatives is a good thing. It is excellent on it's own but the banana slices, coconut and nuts, really took it over the top. A definite keeper recipe. 

11 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds so good. I love banana anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this. sounds. amazing!
    banana, coconut, and macadamia is an awesome combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just bought an ice cream making and have been playing around with it. I love banana ice cream and will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That look absolutely delicious! I love ice cream. I am not familiar with apple bananas though, we just seem to get the one kind here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds really good! I think I should start dusting off my ice cream maker :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kind of weird about banana-flavored things but that combination is enough to make me know that I would LOVE this. Whenever I have excess bananas I make banana bread. You know what would be good? Banana bread topped with this ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds 10 steps above delicious Debbie. I love cooking, baking and anything to do with bananas. Thanks for this special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could dive head first into that! YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all things banana! I did a banana sorbet, but I've never tried an ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ALL things banana, so thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried the recipe at these links once using left over bananas (I didn't feel like making bread) and was surprised by how good this stuff was. Now that I have recalled this I need to buy some bananas since the warm weather is here.

    Winnie

    http://tinyurl.com/ofdlnw

    http://tinyurl.com/qdf8ao
    (need to scroll down)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)