Sunday, November 14, 2021

Five Bowls of Chilis I Still Think About for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

It's still in the mid 80s (Fahrenheit) here mostly, but today is a bit cooler and rainy, and it puts me in mind of a big bowl of chili. So here's a roundup of some great chilis I have enjoyed from out I Heart Cooking Clubs featured chefs. 

First up is the Espresso Black Bean Chili that I adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. Rich and well-balanced, the coffee flavor comes through but doesn't overpower


Another on the non-traditional but delicious side is Pierce Street Vegetarian Chili by Heidi Swanson. Lentils. chickpeas, bulguer, and barley make it hearty and satisfying. 


Not a bean fan? Giada's Vegetarian Chili Verde is full of veggies and flavor and perfect for Fall. 


An easy and more traditional chili is Mark Bittman's Simple Chili from Scratch. I jazzed it up a bit and used plant-based crumbles to make it meat-free.



Another more traditional chili that I made meat-free was Rick Bayless' "The World's Greatest Chili" adapted from Rick & Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures. While "World's Best" is maybe a bit strong, it was very good. 


For other great chili recipes just look at the tag on my sidebar. 

I'm linking up this post up at I Heart Cooking Clubs where this week's theme is Warming Soups and Stews. 


Now let's take a look into the Souper Sundays kitchen: 


Tina of Squirrel Head Manor tried a soup from Tieghan Gerard, saying, "The theme this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs is warming soups and stews. There were a few on my menu planning such as gumbo and a chicken gnocchi soup but I decided on the Broccoli Cheddar with Seasoned Pretzels. ... After making this I know I will, more than likely, return to a different broccoli cheddar soup recipe as this one didn’t turn out as I hoped."



Kim of Stirring the Pot said, "I've been wanting to make Tieghan's Healthier Creamy Tortellini Vegetable Soup for ages. A creamy soup with cheesy tortellini that is loaded with veggies and still somewhat healthy? Yes, please! It just ticks all the boxes for me! ... This is my FAVORITE Half-Baked Harvest recipe yet and will most likely be one of my favorite recipes of the year! If you're in need of comfort or warming up, you seriously need to make this! "



Melynda of Scratch Made Food shared two recipes this week. First up, a tasty soup, She says, "Terrific Turkey Soup with Lima Beans and Barley is our favorite after Thanksgiving soup! It is chock full of all the good things one needs on a cold winter's day. Rich bone broth, lots of veggies, and of course chunks of that delicious turkey from the day before..."


Next is a salad. Melynda says, "Kale Apple and Carrot Slaw, is the perfect salad to introduce a raw kale to the family! Plus this salad is so good, you don't need to be worried about anyone NOT liking it! Kale Apple and Carrot Slaw, is not too sweet, and everyone I know loves it...my guess is, so will you."


Thank you Tina Kim and Melynda for joining me this week! 

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
  • Although we are pretty wide on what defines a soup, sandwich or salad, entries that are clearly not in the same family (ie: desserts, meats, random main or side dishes that aren't salads, etc.) are meant for another round up and will be deleted. 
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!

1 comment:

  1. It was almost 80 here today but we've already had a hard freeze. I'm ready for chili season. Thanks for all the selections! Linked up a pumpkin soup.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)