Sunday, October 25, 2020

Thai Yellow Curry Shrimp Soup with Jasmine Rice for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

I was having one of my frequent Thai yellow curry cravings and had some shrimp in the freezer, yellow curry paste in the fridge, and some vegetables to use up. For my base, I used Mark Bittman's Shrimp in Yellow Curry and added the vegetables and extra liquid to make it soup. 


If you aren't a shrimp fan, just insert your favorite quick cooking protein. You can adjust the vegetables to you favorites and add as much heat as you want. I am a medium-spice person. 


Thai Yellow Curry Shrimp Soup 
Slightly Adapted from Mark Bittman via NewYorkTimes.com 
(Serves 4)

2 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
1 cup minced onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger or galangal
(I added 1 lemongrass stalk, peeled & bruised)
1 tsp minced hot chili, or to taste
1 Tbsp curry powder or to taste (I used 2 heaping Tbsp)
(I added 4 cups vegetable broth)
(I added 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced)
(I added 1 cup thinly sliced sweet peppers)
(I added 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced if large)
2 cups fresh or canned coconut milk
2 lbs large shrimp, peeled
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp nam plan (fish sauce), or to taste
(I added the juice of 1 lime + extra to serve)
1/4 cup minced cilantro or mint

  1. Place the oil in a large soup pot and turn the heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and chilies and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender and the mixture pasty. Add the curry and cook, stirring, another minute. Add the carrots and sweet pepper if using and cook another minute. 
    1. Add the broth and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until about 5 minutes until they soften slightly. Add the coconut milk, mushrooms, shrimp, a few pinches of salt and a little black pepper and cook about 10 minutes until the shrimp turn pink.
    2. Add half the nam pla and lime juice, stir, then taste and add more  if necessary. Garnish with cilantro and serve with jasmine or sticky rice.

    Notes/Results: Exactly what I wanted today and it will be perfect for lunches this week. I cooked Jasmine rice in my rice cooker and keep it separate until ready to serve. I will happily make this again.


    Linking up with I Heart Cooking Clubs where it's Potluck week.


    Let's see who is here in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week!
craftygardner.com is here with a Carrot and Squash Soup saying, "The cooler weather is fast approaching and that means delicious soups to warm us up. A purchase of a 10 lb bag of carrots for $1.99 meant I had to come up with lots of ways to use them.After making carrot and sweet potato soup I decided to make some carrot and squash soup just by changing up the recipe a bit.Thank you to and Judee for joining me this week!



Judee of Gluten Free A-Z Blog shared Greek Lemon Soup saying, "If you like lemon, you'll love this powerful Greek lemon soupImagine a simple vegetable soup in a tangy lemony broth that is easy to make and a delight to eat. This interesting ethnic recipe is one of my mother-in-law's recipes and has been in our family for years. It is simple, delicious, lemony and healthy.



Here at Kahakai Kitchen I made a Warm Barley Salad with Herb Pesto to go with a recently reviewed book. Cooked with shallots, garlic and broth, and then tossed with a pesto of dill, chives, parsley and a little rosemary and topped with feta and olives, it was a delicious lunch. 


Thank you for joining me this week!

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy healthy week!
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing soup . Of course I would need to omit the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely soup weather here starting today! Brrrr! Enjoy the Hawaii climate, Deb! This sounds like a lovely soup. Linking up today with a soup and sammy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)