Saturday, January 21, 2017

Heidi Swanson's Five-Minute (Egg) Breakfast Tacos

This is one of those very simple recipes that cause me to wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?"  Breakfast tacos that use smashed hard-boiled eggs and come together in about 5-minutes. I make egg tacos but usually scramble the eggs, or fry them for huevos rancheros but these are even easier and are a great way to use up bits and bobs of greens and herbs you have.


5-Minute Egg Tacos
Adapted from Heidi Swanson via 101Cookbooks.com 

Peel a hard-boiled egg, smash it in a small bowl with a bit of yogurt or drizzle of olive oil. Heat a tortilla by throwing it down directly on a very low burner or gas flame. Flip it once or twice, until it is hot, and blistered a bit. Remove and top with the smashed egg, shredded greens, sprouts, micro greens, or chopped herbs. Add a drizzle of hot sauce or salsa. Done.


Notes/Results: I have a feeling that I will be making these often. So simple and really good. I smashed my eggs with olive oil, garlic salt and freshly-ground black pepper and used a favorite locally-made salsa, locally-grown baby micro-green mix and fresh cilantro. I grilled my taco shells on my gas stove burner and was good to go. Avocado would be nice mixed in too--the stores just didn't have good ones this week. Simple, satisfying, and delicious! 


I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs where the theme is Face the Day--Heidi Swanson breakfast and brunch recipes. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.


 I'm also linking this post up to the Weekend Cooking event at Beth Fish Reads, a weekly event that is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share. For more information, see the welcome post

 

9 comments:

  1. I'd take this for lunch, and I agree: Simple, satisfying, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen must be very organized -- I would love that but don't have any of those ingredients on hand!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What could be easier? I'd eat this any time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made deviled egg tacos but this is super delicious. I think I might just like this all in a bowl too (sans the tortilla) but I'm pretty into all things "bowl-like" right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These would be a welcome sight right now! That's a filling meal and I sure love a taco. Never thought about eggs in hem so I am happy you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, Deb! It's kinda like an egg salad taco. I agree with you. Why didn't I think of that. Seems like a quick thing to do as you head out the door and I love that it's full of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound simple and tasty, I'll be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for a taco. Every Sunday I make a pan of boiled eggs to have in the frig all week as they are quick for the guys to grab and eat in various ways...never once have we made a taco with them, but we will try it, thanks for choosing this one and cluing us all in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just YUM. I love tacos. What a great idea. I could take this on the run.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)