Friday, February 28, 2014

Lime and Coconut Poached Fish with 'Volcano' Rice & Sugar Snap Peas


This Lime and Coconut Poached Fish from Fast, Fresh Simple is what Donna Hay says she cooks on "summer beach holidays" and that when she cooks it at home, her "thoughts return to the beach." I love the tropical feel of the dish from the fresh (local) kaffir lime leaves, lime juice and coconut milk and served here with gingered 'volcano' rice (brown and red rice grown on the mineral-rich volcanic soil of West Java) and steamed sugar snap peas.


Lime and Coconut Poached Fish
Adapted from Fast, Fresh, Simple by Donna Hay
(Serves 2)

1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
1 long green chilli, finely diced
1/4 cup (60 ml) lime juice
6 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
1 Tbsp fish sauce
200 g firm white fish fillets (about 7 oz)
1/2 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
steamed rice and steamed greens to serve

Place the coconut milk, chilli, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves and fish sauce in a pan over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the fish and cook 3-4 minutes each side or until tender. 

To serve, divide the fish the fish and poaching liquid between serving plates and sprinkle with coriander and serve with steamed rice and greens. 


Notes/Results: A great combination of flavors--tangy, spicy and sweet. The fish (I used frozen cod) is tender and moist and the coconut 'sauce' soaks into the rice nicely, giving it even more flavor. I made my volcano rice in the rice cooker, tossing in some minced ginger and steamed the sugar snap peas--making sure they were plenty crisp. This makes for an easy and satisfying meal that isn't too heavy. I would make it again. 


It's Tropical Delights week at I Heart Cooking Clubs--making delectable Donna Hay recipes with tropical ingredients. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.


Happy Aloha Friday! 
 

11 comments:

  1. Lime and coconut together is such a great combo...I'm sure it makes this fish taste lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a delicious meal for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could tell just by looking at the photo that it was a Donna Hay recipe!

    I have a soup and a salad for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely meal! Pairing the fish and the rice with the greens looks really delicious. Must be really fragrant from the kaffir lime leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and beachy dish. So fresh and healthy looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could tell just by looking at the photo that it was a Donna Hay recipe!





    I have a soup and a salad for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and beachy dish. So fresh and healthy looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful meal! That poaching liquid sounds so delicious - that fish must have tasted fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couscous & ConsciousnessMarch 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

    This looks stunning, Deb - I had to bookmark it. All those flavours sound wonderful, and definitely tropically inspired. I'm totally intrigued by the volcano rice - I've never come across it anywhere, but I'd sure love to get my hands on some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you expand a little better on your Volcano rice with the Ginger - I am making your recipe for a friends B-Day party with a Hawaiian theme and am using the coconut poached fish and the rice recipe (using appetizer portions ) for about 75 people - I'm mostly looking for your recommendation on ginger amounts for the cooked rice - it sounds like you added fresh minced ginger into the rice cooker ? (which I am also going to use but I will likely make in batches ) any help ASAP would be appreciated this is to be prepared for Saturday 1/14/17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a tough one as it was a few years ago and I was mainly focused on the fish. I have done it both ways--put it with a touch of salt in the rice cooker, or tossed it with minced ginger afterward and both seem to work. I rarely cook in big batches and probably would have used about 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice and probably put in about 1 Tbsp peeled and grated ginger and a pinch of sea salt into the water and rice mixture because I like a good ginger presence. If cooking it in batches, you might try it and if that is too much ginger, reduce it for the next batch. Hope that helps. ;-)

      Delete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)