Friday, October 18, 2013

Banana Maple "Puddings" with Greek Yogurt: A Little Dessert (or Breakfast!) Treat

"Up & At 'Em" is the theme this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs--breakfast foods to kick the day off with. I am not going to deny that this recipe came out of the "Instant Desserts" section of No Time To Cook but, if you look at the ingredients: egg, flour, banana, maple syrup, and my addition of Greek yogurt to top it off--well then, it sounds like it can do double duty as indulgent breakfast treat to me! ;-)


This is meant to be a "cakey" kind of pudding and served warm from the oven. A perfectly comforting way to get a morning started! ;-) I made a couple of small changes in red below. 


Banana Maple Puddings
Adapted slightly from No Time to Cook by Donna Hay
(Serves 2)

2 Tbsp caster (superfine sugar)
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2/3 cup mashed bananas
50 g butter (3 1/2 Tbsp), melted
1 egg
1/2 cup (75g) self-rising flour*
thick cream to serve (I used yogurt)
extra maple syrup to serve
powder sugar to serve (I used cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 170 degrees C / 340 degrees F. Grease 2 1-cup (250ml) capacity ramekins.

Place sugar, maple syrup, banana, butter, egg and flour into a small bowl and mix until combined. Spoon mixture into ramekins and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. 

Serve puddings warm with a dollop of thick cream (or yogurt) and extra maple syrup. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (or cinnamon) is desired.

(*Since I didn't have self rising flour, I used all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt and made my own using the proportions from Food.com)


Notes/Results: If you like bananas, banana bread and or/bread pudding, you will like this recipe. It's moist, sweet and full of good banana and maple flavor. This stirs together quickly and comes out with a soft, bread pudding-like texture and bites of mashed banana. It calls for thick cream on top but I thought the tang of thick Greek yogurt would be nice and would be a little healthier since this is a "treat" kind of breakfast. Rather than top with powdered sugar as pictured in the book since this recipe is already sweet, cinnamon seemed like the way to go. Easy and yummy, I would make this again.


You can see the breakfast treats everyone else made by going to the Up & At 'Em post and following the links.


Happy Aloha Friday!
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh Deb this looks wonderful! Bananas & maples such a perfect combination. This is one sure fire way to treat yourself at the start of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. You are so right, this can be eaten for breakfast. Love that you used cinnamon and yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I think your variations are good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A breakfast treat like this sounds good to me! sweet but not crazy indulgent. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a banana lover so this looks wonderful to me...with cinnamon and yoghurt is an even better attraction...I like your changes in other words, to what, I am certain is a killer recipe in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell the fragrance from the bananas! And I would sub the powdered sugar with cinnamon too! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, I like bananas! It looks so yummy with yogurt and cinnamon, a real treat to start your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearly I need to breakfast with you. This looks dessert like as well as a great fortifying breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous breakfast treat. Bananas, maple, cinnamon, yogurt...what a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you and Pam both baked this week ;-) I love anything remotely resembling banana bread or banana cake. I think this looks terrific and perfect for breakfast!

    P.S. I'm thinking I need to get my hands on this instant book.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)