Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mushroom Curry (Shorvedar Khumbi)

This Mushroom Curry (Shorvedar Khumbi) from Madhur Jaffrey caught my eye because of the mushrooms and the spices--I am trying to get through a large container of ground coriander. I am normally a multi-spiced-heavy-on-the-cumin-curry-kind-of-girl and this sounded a bit different. 


Jaffrey says, "I have used ordinary white mushrooms here, but you may make this with almost any seasonal mushroom. Whichever kind you get, cut them into large, chunky pieces so they do not get lost in the sauce."  


Mushroom Curry (Shorvedar Khumbi)
Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking
(Serves 4)

1 1/2 --inch piece fresh ginger, peeled an chopped
1 small onion (about 4 oz), peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 lb large fresh mushrooms
6 Tbsp vegetable oil (I used less--about 1/2)
3 Tbsp yogurt (I used non-dairy coconut-based yogurt)
1 tsp tomato paste
2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp salt (or to taste) (I used about 1/2 tsp)
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Place the ginger, onion, and garlic into the container of an electric blender along with 3 tablespoons water and blend until smooth.

Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut them into halves or quarters depending upon size.

Put 3 tablespoons of the oil in a nonstick frying pan and set over high heat. When the oil is hot,  put in the mushrooms. Stir and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mushrooms have lost their raw look. Empty the contents of the pan into a bowl. Wipe the pan.

Put the remaining 3 tablespoons oil into the pan and set over high heat.  When the oil is hot, put in the paste from the blender. Stir and fry 3 to 4 minutes until it starts turning brown. Add 1 tablespoon yogurt and fry for 30 seconds. Add another tablespoon yogurt and fry for 30 seconds. Do this a third time. Then put in the tomato paste and fry for 30 seconds. Put in the ground coriander and stir once or twice. Then put in 1 1/4 cups water, the mushrooms and their juices, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cilantro over the top before serving. 


Notes/Results: This curry is excellent in flavor with the coriander and ginger the most pronounced--a little different than my usual curry flavors but I liked it. I used a mixture of cremini mushrooms and white mushrooms--just because that is what the grocery store had, but wild mushrooms would be really nice in this. Pureeing the onion, ginger and garlic and stir-frying that mixture added a lot to the overall taste. Texture-wise, next time I would put less water in or maybe sub coconut milk for the water--I like a thick. creamy base and this was more thin. Also, I used a non-dairy coconut-based yogurt and maybe a Greek yogurt would have made it a little thicker.  Still, it was good with the flaky paratha (my favorite flat bread from the frozen section of my local Indian market) dipped into it.  The recipe says it serves four but, I think it is more like two generous main-dish servings or four as a side dish or part of a larger meal. I would make this again--with less liquid. 


We are all about Comforting Curries this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. Stop by and take a peek. 


 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could get into mushrooms more! I love how simply spiced this curry is...just the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely gong to eat my weight in mushrooms this winter.... and perhaps with this soup, although I'd likely add red lentils, me thinks. I love coriander although we've run out of the ground stuff so now we grind our whole coriander fresh when we need it. A bit of a hassle but the flavour cannot be beat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)