Friday, November 2, 2012

Lemongrass Tea (Leelee Chai)

I drink a lot of tea--black, green, oolong. I drink a lot of lemongrass tisane--fresh lemongrass steeped in hot water. I don't normally drink the two together so I was intrigued by this recipe for Leelee Chai--or Indian Lemongrass Tea from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.


Jaffrey says, "I have only seen this drunk in the West Indian state of Gujarat. In the city of Ahmedabad we were offered large, handleless bowlfuls of it. It had been made very strong and was served sweetened, with milk. You might like to make it weaker and have it without the milk and sugar."

Lemongrass Tea (Leelee Chai)
From Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian
(Serves 4)

2 stalks fresh lemongrass, the bottom 6-inches, thinly sliced
5 tsp Assam or Darjeeling black tea
milk and sugar to taste

Combine the lemongrass and 4 1/4 cups of water in a pan and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Strain the water into a warmed teapot and immediately add the tea. Allow to steep for 5 minutes. Serve with milk and sugar or plain. 


Notes/Results: I used a first-flush Darjeeling and fresh local lemongrass and it made for a lighter, brighter cup of tea with a slightly floral, lemony finish. Normally I am a no-cream-or-sugar-in-my-tea-kind-of-girl, but this tea was even better with a dash of coconut milk non-dairy creamer and a touch of honey. It's also good iced, with a squeeze of lemon. Definitely drinkable, I will make it again.



There's an Indian Tea Party over at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week. You can check out the tea and tea-friendly treats everyone made by going to the post and following the links.

Happy Aloha Friday!
 

12 comments:

  1. It sounds intriguing! I can't get my head around lemongrassy tea with milk in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemongrass with the chai flavors sounds so refreshing and yet warming all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lemongrass with the chai flavors sounds so refreshing and yet warming all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good! I would love it with a touch of honey and lemon! A definite must try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful! I've had lemon balm tea but not lemon grass. Will def try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glennis-Can't Believe We AteNovember 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

    Loving this! Lots of layers of flavors... I'll be trying coconut milk/creamer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the sound of the black tea with the lemongrass - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a little leery of it too but with the black tea it seems to work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this lemongrass version in the book and I thought it sounded wonderful. Love your tea cup. The pictures of your tea are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had a cup of lemongrass tea! I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an interesting variation of Chai tea. I will have to see if I can find some FRESH lemongrass. Beautiful cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)