Thursday, January 19, 2012

Skordalia (Garlic Potato & Olive Oil Mash) on Grilled Pita--A Garlicky Double-Starch Delight

You might look at the picture of skordalia and wonder why on earth I am serving mashed potatoes spread on pita bread. Skordalia is a creamy potato dish from Greece and it is a garlic-lover's dream. The first time I ever tried it was a friend's house for dinner where her Greek mother served it as part of a mezze platter along with warm grilled pita bread. I have preferred it that way ever since. Now and then, a little starch-on-starch works for me. ;-)


We are cooking White as Snow foods over at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week and it seemed like a good time to rustle up some garlic and potatoes from the pantry, and whip up a batch of that creamy garlicky goodness from Food From Many Greek Kitchens. If you are iffy about garlic at all, this is not your dish. Eight cloves of raw garlic and the juice of two lemons give it a intense flavor. (Not a bad thing in my book!) The creaminess of the potatoes and silky olive oil, even it all out. Pungent yes, but oh so very good. Serve it as a pupu (appetizer), or as a side dish with grilled fish or other protein.


Skordalia (Garlic Potato and Olive Oil Mash)
Food From Many Greek Kitchens

(Makes a Nice Bowlful)

1 lb 5 oz unpeeled potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
8 cloves garlic, peeled
salt
juice of 2 lemons
about 3/4 cup olive oil
freshly ground black pepper

Boil the potatoes in their skins in salted water until soft. While they are cooking, crush garlic cloves with a little salt to a puree using a mortar and pestle. When the potatoes are just cool enough to handle, peel off their skins and pass the potatoes through a ricer into a tall bowl. Add the pureed garlic, and pour in the lemon juice and olive oil. Beat briskly with a wooden spoon until amalgamated and smooth. Season well with salt and pepper to taste; it needs a good amount of salt to bring out the flavors. Stir in 3 tablespoons or so of hot water or stock.


Notes/Results: Easy and delicious. You may smell (and smell like) garlic for a few days after making this, but you'll enjoy it. ;-) I have had skordalia made out of bread and with almonds pureed and blended in, and it sometimes has a slightly sticky texture reminiscent of library paste. This simple version was creamier and I liked the softer texture. I used my grill pan to toast up some lovely pita bread and slathered the warm dip on top. A winner for me that I will make again.


You can check out all the other White as Snow dishes by going to the IHCC post and following the links.

15 comments:

  1. Given how much pesto I've eaten in my life, I'm fairly certain that I have raw garlic coursing through my veins. Both you and Natashya give it a thumbs up? need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very delicious nice have with kuboos, and grill chicken

    ReplyDelete
  3. God I love skordalia! I used to go to a Greek restaurant that did the best mezze of skordalia, tzatziki and a smoky eggplant salad. I never used to want my main course because I'd eat so much of it!

    BTW - I have a soup for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really a beautiful plate, yum ! Really so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would go over well at my house. If my son is iffy about eating something, all I have to do is tell him there's garlic in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debi..this is delish. I agree with MM. This would go so well in any house :) I am surely making this over weekend. God, I missed being on blogs!

    best
    JW

    ReplyDelete
  7. is it okay if I add cheese? but i think it will affect the taste...I maybe try the original recipe then if I taste it then will try to add the cheese.I really loved to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of all that garlic in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little "starch on starch" from time-to-time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I love your presentation and the dishes you used too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful and it sounds so good... I think I might have to try this one. I agree with Natashya, your presentation is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing, amazing, amazing! I want some starch on starch action going on in my mouth! Why have I never tried these? I'll remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I'm craving comfort food it's always starch on starch. I think it's a girl thing for sure. This looks like a wonderful vehicle for garlic. Very pretty plating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love skordalia, and have had this one bookmarked for ages - don't know why I haven't made it yet. It's a dish that turned up regularly at meals while I was holidaying in Greece, and I adore it with some fresh grilled sardines - though I could just as easily polish it off with a side of pita bread. Nothing wrong with doubling the starch at all:-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)