Friday, January 27, 2012

Garides Saganaki: Shrimp with Feta and Tomato... Getting My Feta On

This meze/appetizer or as I like to call it...dinner, ;-) is a use-it-up-or-lose-it kind of dish. I had leftover feta in the fridge, a couple of green onions hiding in the veggie drawer, and pita bread and shrimps lurking in the freezer. Greek food seemed the logical solution, and a look through Food From Many Greek Kitchens led me to Garides Saganaki, or Shrimp with Feta and Tomato.

I made a few small additions/changes to the recipe such as reducing the amount of oil, adding a leftover half a green pepper, and it seems that a couple of tablespoons of capers just happened to make their way into the sauce as well. My changes are in red below.


Tessa Kiros says, "I have seen these baked as well as made on the stovetop. This recipe has lovely strong, clean flavors, and it works well as a meze with other seafood dishes. You really just need some bread with it."


Garides Saganaki
Adapted From Food From Many Greek Kitchens
(Serves 6 to 8 as part of a meze plate or 2 to 3 as an entree)

about 16 medium raw shrimp
5 Tbsp olive oil (reduced to 2 Tbsp)
1 3/4 oz green onions with some green, finely chopped (I used 3 green onions)
(added 1/2 green pepper, diced)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
14-oz can of crushed tomatoes (I used diced)
(added 2 Tbsp capers)
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 1/2 oz feta, crumbled

Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails intact, and devein them using a toothpick. Heat the oil in a wide nonstick pan that has a lid and sauté the onion on medium-low heat until softened. Add the garlic and fry until it smells good, then add the tomatoes, half the parsley and some salt and pepper. Put the lid on and simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Add the shrimp to the pan and turn through to cover all of them with sauce. Simmer, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes. Scatter the feta in, put the lid back on and cook until the feta just softens, about 5 minutes, rocking the pan once or twice. Serve with a good grind of pepper and the remaining parsley scattered on top, and some lovely Greek bread.


Notes/Results: Tomatoy-cheesy goodness spread out over soft grilled pita--there's a lot to love in this dish--it is quick and easy to make and tastes divine. I got to use my favorite French feta from the little market and wine store next to my favorite local "mostly-Greek" restaurant, and it is already so soft and buttery, it just melts into the tomato sauce. I highly recommend adding some capers--they add a nice salty tang. The shrimp are great, but it is the sauce that really makes this dish. I'd make it again but maybe just up the amount of peppers and feta and not even bother with the shrimp. Yum! I should be telling you how good it would be with a simple green salad, but I ate greens for breakfast and lunch and wasn't in the mood for salad at dinner. (More room for pita and sauce!)


It's January Potluck over at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week. Check out the post for links to the fabulous potluck dishes the other IHCC peeps will be making.

Happy Aloha Friday!

10 comments:

  1. Deb this looks gorgeous. I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet but I want this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks perfect as a snack too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fresh flavors in this! I've been meaning to try it but with some kind of veggie sub for the shrimp. The sauce sounds like the kind of thing I'd lick off the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! This dish is making my mouth water. I love the way your feta melted into the sauce. I have to squeeze this recipe in before our time is over with Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaaggghhhhh! Saganaki is one of my favorite things EVER! This sounds amazing. UH. MAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Diced tomatoes and capers are definitely the way to go - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, this looks wonderful! Beautiful colors and beautiful ingredients! I was hooked at shrimp, feta and capers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one I marked to try--but don't I say that about all of her recipes? Can't help it. It's true.

    I would have turned this into dinner too and I like your idea of eating it on pita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I have this one bookmarked. I remember eating saganaki shrimps at a little sidewalk cafe in Athens, with a lovely Greek salad and some oregano baked potatoes. A very memorable meal.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm! I love the way it looks as a gorgeous dollop on the pita triangle in the last picture! Delectable! Not even a long list of ingredients, but it looks like a ragu that took a lot of input.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)