Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Giada's Peanut Butter Granola Bars


It's Potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs, time to make any Giada recipe we desire. I wanted something fast, simple and "snackable," so I selected her Peanut Butter Granola Bars. I made a few changes reducing the butter and replacing half of the oats with some puffed millet. They were a tasty, even if a messy treat.

You can find the recipe at the Food Network here.


Peanut Butter Granola Bars
Giada at Home
(Makes 24 Bars)

Vegetable cooking spray
1 egg white
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup (1-stick) unsalted butter, melted (I used 1/4 cup)
2 cups old fashioned oats (I used 1 cup oats / 1 cup puffed millet*)
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, *see Cook's Note
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a 7 by 10 3/4-inch nonstick baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Lay a 6 by 18-inch piece of parchment paper in the pan, allowing the excess paper to hang over the sides. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, using a hand beater, beat the egg white until frothy. Stir in the peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey. Add the melted butter, oats and almonds. Stir to combine, then add the chocolate chips.

Using a rubber spatula, spread mixture into the prepared baking pan, pressing lightly to form an even layer. Bake until the edge of the mixture begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares and serve.

*Cook's Note: To toast almonds, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.


**Deb's Note: Puffed millet can be found in the cereal aisle of many grocery stores and natural food stores. I like to add it to cereal mixes, granola, trail mix, or cookie treats as a fun way to change it up and add a different texture.


Notes/Results: Taste-wise, these are good--with a nice peanut butter flavor. Next time I would add some dried cranberries or blueberries as a tangy note would be good with the peanut butter and mini chocolate chips. Texture-wise, these are really more of a soft, moist cookie bar than a drier granola bar and they were pretty crumbly. Thinking it might be due to the reduction of butter or my puffed millet, I read the reviews of the recipe on Food Network and found that it was a common problem. (Note to self--read the reviews before making the recipe next time.) ;-) There were solutions offered--adding more egg, putting them in the fridge afterward (which I actually did), waiting overnight to cut them, etc. Despite their crumbliness making them a bit messy to eat, they were tasty enough that I would make them again, making a few changes.


You can see what the other IHCC participants picked to make for their Potluck dishes by going to the post here and following the links.

24 comments:

  1. I think homemade granola bars are the best because you can actually include wholesome ingredients in them rather than tons of sugar! And well. You know how I feel about PB. Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on the puffed millet! That sounds like a great addition to my homemade granola, now I'll just have to see if I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I'd love to have one of these right now for breakfast. Peanut butter always makes me happy.
    The puffed millet looks so airy and light. I'm curious to see if I can find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to make these tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. Dried cranberries would be a nice addition. Oh, and I tend to do that too...read reviews after making the recipe. Not sure why I do things that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm saving this one, my kids love granola bars and I'm buying a box every week so I just need to make them! These sound great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I love granola bars as a snack to keep the fire fueled mid-late afternoon, and I've never considered making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't always read the reviews before I make something - so I hear you on that part.

    However, the bars look really good, even if they were misbehaving and crumbled a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanne--I agree--homemade is always best and I thought of you with the PB! ;-)

    Pam--it adds more texture rather than a lot of flavor but it is fun. ;-)

    Kim--I hope you can find it--it's usually in bags at the bottom of the cereal aisle and is pretty cheap. It makes a different and fun "crispy treat" too. ;-)

    Kat--hope you like them. ;-)

    Michelle--me either on not reading the reviews lol!

    Kirby--thanks! I hope you and your kids enjoy them.
    ;-)

    Erin--thanks! Making your own granola and bars is fun and they always taste better, plus you can control the ingredients.

    Megan--thanks! Yes, it is strange--the reviews are right there but I never look at them. Good to know I am not the only one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What delicious treats! I like making these at home because you can personalize them just the way you did. I'm going to look for the puffy millet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I almost always forget to look at the reviews...I need to hammer it in so I remember...but these do look and sound mighty tasty!! Delicious choice, Deb :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Messy usually means that they are really good! :) These look great! I love using puffed millet and kamut puffs in my bar recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH Deb - I'm pleased you made these. I saw Giada make them on TV ages ago and have been meaning to make them. Can't wait to try (I'll try to remember to read the reviews and suggestions). Love your idea of adding cranberries.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deliciou bars... They looks yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh those granola bars look so yummy!
    I want one, no 3 or 4 right no!
    Thanks for sharing these,
    Albert Grande
    The Pizza Promoter
    or maybe the Granola Bar Promoter

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun choice! I love homemade granola bars, but hardly ever make them! Thanks for the tips, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb, this recipe was one of my contenders - I have a daughter away in college and she loves granola bars!
    I can see the cranberries working really well in the recipe.
    Greetings from not so sunny SoCal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh absolutley - the homemade bars are the best! I never used puffed millet. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a sucker for peanut butter these days, so these caught my eye. I made a batch in my crock pot recently that contained similar ingredients... As tasty as they are the dried blueberries do make them better, so definitely add a handful :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! Love the granola bars. Maybe I should make these next week... ☺

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look great, even if they were messy. I keep imagining myself as the kind of mom that will make my son homemade granola bars. Hopefully, I will be (right now he's too young to chew it, and definitely too young for the peanut butter). Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're peanut butter granolabars look scrumptious, great pick for potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been meaning to make granola bars for a long time. This recipe looks great - with the cranberries. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reeni--Thank you! I hope you mind the millet--it is a fun ingredient.

    Heather--thanks! It is crazy that I always forget to look at them. ;-)

    Imwaytoobusy--I like puffed kamut too!
    ;-)

    Sue--mahalo! I think any dried berry would be a nice addition. ;-)

    Nitha--thank you! ;-)

    Albert--thanks! ;-)

    Joanna--they taste so good and are so easy to make.

    Lana--I hope you make them sometime! ;-)

    Pierce--thanks!

    Zibi--how fun--crock pot ones sound interesting!

    Natashya--they are good--great for breakfast or snacks.

    Allison--they are good and so easy--I hope you try them. ;-)

    Yvette--thank you!

    Cook of the House--thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)