Saturday, August 28, 2010

Thai-Flavored Mojito: A Crisp & Coconutty Simple Saturday Sipper


Lacking any desire or ability to plan this week, I found myself sitting on the lanai in deep contemplation about what to make for this week's Simple Saturday Sipper. Looking to my herbs for inspiration, I noticed that the Thai basil needed some harvesting and the mint could use a little snipping too. Since I had purchased several little local limes that needed to be used, it quickly became apparent that a Thai-Flavored Mojito was the way to go.


I just mixed a little bit of everything in my fridge and bar together--the herbs, coconut water, limes, ginger syrup, coconut rum and a little soda water and of course, ice. ;-)

Thai-Flavored Mojito
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Recipe for 1 cocktail)

5-6 Thai basil leaves
5-6 mint leaves
3 lime wedges
1 Tbsp agave syrup
1 Tbsp ginger syrup
2 oz freshly-squeezed lime juice
3 oz coconut rum (or rum of choice)
3 oz coconut water
3 oz tonic water
ice

In the bottom of a tall glass, combine the mint, Thai basil, lime wedges and agave and muddle until mixed together and fragrant. Add ginger syrup, lime juice, coconut rum, coconut water and ice, then top off with the soda water. Stir gently to combine ingredients. Garnish with a lime slice and a couple of extra herbs. Enjoy! (Preferably outside on a warm evening.)



Notes/Results: Ahhh... perfectly refreshing, tangy and good. The Thai basil and mint combine nicely with the coconut, ginger and lime. I used agave syrup which gave it a touch of sweetness, but it is more tangy than sweet. You could do this without the coconut rum and coconut water, but it adds a nice touch. I will make these again.


Happy Saturday!

15 comments:

  1. You need to sell this idea to bars because this is a drink that I would want to order again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one of those! I totally agree with Joanne - I want to be able to walk into a bar and say "I want Deb's Mojito"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! This is my kind of drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a mojito but I am positive I would LOVE this drink!
    Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I wish I had one of these in my hand right now. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect for the humidity these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cabana boy is going to kill me for giving him one more thing to do. This looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just posted a mojito very similar to this on Friday! Thai basil, mint and lime juice! Great minds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Joanne - you could sell this idea! I am happily sipping a margarita now...nice Cabo Wabo. But your drink has me intrigued :-0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    great drink and lovely presentation!!!!

    Sameena@http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes the biggest inspiration comes from what's hanging out in the house or even in the herb garden! Rum is probably my favorite liquor and I'd love to try the coconut version. I have a feeling that I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on being in top 9
    colourful picture and flavours

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sabrina just made a non-alcoholic version of a mojito last night. And loved it! I really like the addition of coconut rum - it sounds like a terrific choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious! I wish I was sitting on my Lanai.... just thinking about whipping up tropical drinks! Nice job combining all the flavours! - Megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a refreshing coctail that I can't wait to try and sip alongside the Thai Cucumber Salad that I just made! YUM, Thai food is so good! Plus all of your recipes are so creative and unique. I enjoy reading every one of them, even though I may not be able to make them all. Good job as always!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)