Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Raw Zucchini Hummus: A Quick & Easy Dip for Summer

Yep, behind in cooking and posting again and having a week that is very full of meetings and projects. (I'm not complaining, just explaining.) ;-) So here is a quick post for a simple Raw Zucchini Hummus that takes minutes to make and is a nice change from regular hummus--not to mention a great way to use up the abundant zucchini you may have lurking about. It's surprising good and some what addictive. This one comes from VegNews magazine.


VegNews says, "Perfect for hot summer days,, you'll never miss the beans in this rich satisfying hummus."


Raw Zucchini Hummus
Adapted from Gena Hamshaw, VegNews, July/August 2010
(Makes About 1 1/2 cups)

2 zucchini, finely chopped and ends removed
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
paprika, for garnish

In a food processor, Combine zucchini, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and tahini and blend, stopping periodically to scrape the sides of the bowl. Drizzle in olive oil as needed and garnish with paprika.



Notes/Results: Really good. This does have a lot of tahini in it, therefore a big tahini flavor, which I like, but if I were taking it to an event to share I might add less of it and pump up the zucchini amount a bit. I did add a little extra lemon, because I like my hummus to have a brightness to it. The crackers are just simple flax seed crackers, the first test of my new toy, a dehydrator (yippee!), but more about that later. In addition to flax seed crackers and tortilla and pita chips, this makes a great sandwich spread too. A lighter take on hummus, I will make this again.

16 comments:

  1. I like hummus and never tough of make it with zucchini instead of beans or chickpeas, thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No garlic?!!! Aside from that gross omission, this looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is NO such thing as too much tahini in my opinion! Delicious. Sorry to hear about your crazy busy week! Hope it slows down just a tad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb- How fun and exciting! I have 3 zucchini waiting around for me to do something with and a jar of tahini, everything I need. Sounds like a plan to me:) Thanks for sharing.

    Can't wait to hear about your dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is just genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and unusual, too. Gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that is so mouth watering, love the addition of zucchini to hummus :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delicious twist on hummus Deb! I am loving the sound of it. And I am so jealous - been wanting a dehydrator!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey kitchen goddess! Just stopped by for some zucchini hummus (I'm with you on the extra lemon juice btw), and a wee favor...

    I've entered a contest to win a role on the retro-fabulous TV show "Mad Men" - but I need your votes to win!

    If you don't mind taking two seconds to vote for me, please go to my blog or use the link below, which takes you right to my photo page.

    http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must have been reading my mind (scary, actually), because I have been thinking about a hummus type dip that doesn't use garbanzo beans (Sabrina is allergic to them). She loves zucchini so this is a fantastic substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lately I've been on a hummus kick and have tons of zucchini in my garden. I never thought of merging the two. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! I have a zucchini and an already open tahini ready - will be making this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!! zucchini hummus sounds delicious! This is going on my hummus rotation at school!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried this today and it is great. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)