Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Product Review: Earth Cafe Raw Vegan Cheesecakes

This Tuesday, instead of the usual "Things I Am Loving This Week" I am here with a product review. Not that I'm saying that I don't love this product ;-) but the "Things I Am Loving This Week" are ones I buy myself, or were given as gifts from friends and family rather than products I have received to try. In this case I was given free product from a company to sample but I was not paid for my review and my opinions and the review are my own. (And that would be my disclosure so let's get on to the important business of sampling some cheesecake!) ;-)

If you read this blog at all regularly you know of my fondness for raw desserts, so when I was given the opportunity to sample some raw cheesecakes from Earth Cafe, I of course jumped at it. Earth Cafe is a company that makes organic, vegan, raw, desserts, by hand. They operate out of California, but their cheesecakes are sold in stores around the country (I counted 17 states), and they also ship individual orders through their online store. I had seen them at Kale's, my neighborhood natural foods store but had not yet tried them, so I was anxious to get a taste of what VegNews magazine called the "
Cheesecake Champion" and "the best raw cheesecake we have ever sampled" and see what all the fuss was about.


There are few things better than coming home from a long day and finding a box marked "perishable" on your door step and knowing that cheesecake (especially healthy cheesecake, dairy-free cheesecake, less guilt-inducing cheesecake), awaits inside. I open the box and the packaging and dry ice to find four generous slices of cheesecake inside. (OH HAPPY DAY!) The individual containers got a bit banged up in the shipping process, but the slices of cheesecake inside looked unharmed and pretty delicious. Craig, my cheesecake benefactor and company President, had sent slices of Strawberry Fields Forever, Blueberry Thrill, Rockin' Raspberry, and Who's Your Daddy?, a carob mousse cheesecake.

The cheesecakes store well in the freezer so I was able to take my time with the sampling process. Overall the cheesecakes all tasted fresh, the texture was extremely creamy and the crusts were rich, nutty and buttery. They use fresh ingredients, (things like fruit, nuts, coconut, agave, vanilla and cinnamon), organic when possible. I tried the cheesecakes at various stages of "frozenness" and as with most raw desserts I have tried, I like them best somewhat, although not solidly, frozen.

Strawberry Fields Forever: Creamy with good fresh strawberry flavor. Probably the most mild tasting of the 4 samples but still fruity and quite good. (A layer of strawberries or even peanut butter would have taken it to the next level for me).


Blueberry Thrill: Gorgeous purple color and good, strong berry flavor. This one has the right tart-sweet combination that I like in my blueberry treats and ran a close second as my favorite.


Rockin' Raspberry: This one was my hands down favorite. Maybe it was the layer of raspberries in the middle that added that extra flavor and dimension to the otherwise creamy texture, but this one really stood out for me and was the first one finished.


Who's Your Daddy?: I am going to confess to not be a lover of carob, I find it a bit chalky usually and that was my first impression with this one when I tried it thawed in the refrigerator for a few hours. It had a creamy texture but a bit of that chalky-drying after taste. I put it back in the freezer and tried it again and my opinion changed--it lost the carob and tasted more like dark chocolate. Still not my favorite (I tend to prefer fruity-flavors in my cheesecake anyway), but really good semi-frozen and I certainly wouldn't turn down a piece of it. ;-)


Calorie counts for raw cheesecakes are not low (they run between 177 & 194 calories a serving, with 2 servings in an individually packaged slice and 16 slices in a cheesecake), but they are much healthier calories and healthier fats than in your normal sugar and dairy-laden versions. Plus, as with many raw desserts, they are so rich and satisfying that a small slice is more than enough. The whole cheesecakes run about $35.00 online so about $2.19 per slice. (I have to check and see what the individual slices run in the stores here). Not inexpensive, but not unreasonable in the world of raw food desserts especially when you look at all of the ingredients involved and the fact that they are handmade.

Earth Cafe has a delicious, quality product worth the high praise and I am happy I got to try their cheesecake (A big thanks to Craig & team!). I would buy them, probably by the slice--in fact I want to see if they are carrying the Banana Cream, Coconut Carob and Cali-Style Lemon slices here to buy and try sometime. A good occasional indulgence that I feel good about eating, they would be appropriate for raw foodists, healthy eaters or anyone who simply likes a delicious dessert. You can check out the different cheesecakes on their website here or see if there is a store near you carrying Earth Cafe's desserts here.

Have a delicious week!

17 comments:

  1. These are quite intriguing! I'd be interested to try to recreate them at home. Since there is no way I am paying that much for a cheesecake and I don't think they have them in stores here!

    That raspberry one looks delicious though and would be my favorite as well. With some peanut butter. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blueberry one is the best colour! Too much of that and you'd turn into Violet Beauregard. I totally agree about slightly frozen cheesecake - it's the only way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds delicious, love the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to have a box of cheesecakes waiting for you when you came home! I think the raspberry would be my favorite too.
    Although, I'm reading Joanne's comment and thinking a peanut butter cheesecake would be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The raspberry cake looks very appetizing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those do look very tempting. I have been trying to add more raw to my diet...leave it to me to do it in the form of sweets! But it's fruit, right? Thanks for including info on cost. That's important too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look good, but since they're dairy free, what do they use instead? Soy milk or tofu?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne--I'd like to try making them too. They are creamier than what I have tried at home--they must have a secret! ;-)

    Foodycat--the blueberry one is the brightest. I like the Violet B. reference. Makes me want to watch the original Willy Wonka again. ;-)

    Kat--Thanks! The purple one is fun.

    Kim--I agree--I thought PB w/ the strawberry would have been perfect.
    ;-)

    Andreas--thank you!

    Marly--I have been doing the same thing--desserts do seem like the easiest way to start! (or it's a good excuse any way!)

    Claudia--they actually don't use soy or tofu--at least in the ones I tried. They get the creamy texture from cashews that are soaked and pureed and mixed into the other ingredients. Raw food desserts are so fun and interesting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, Deb. I found the colors of cakes 1 and 2 off putting. That's probably just me. Number 3 was my hands down favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sound excellent! I love the gorgeous color of the blueberry one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats cool it tasted so good being vegan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This would be the ultimate accomplishment: to create a healthy and delicious cheesecake. Each one of them look great, and I bet it was quite a pleasure to taste them. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whole Foods sells them by the slice and they're about $6.00. I've never bought it since I make my own for much cheaper. If anyone is interested, here is a good recipe:

    http://theppk.com/blog/2009/05/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary--that's funny--could be the lighting--most people love #2 because of the coloring. ;-)

    5 Star Foodie--Thanks! Me too. ;-)

    Rebecca--they were very good for being raw and vegan.

    Fresh, Local & Best--It was fun to get to taste all of them. ;-)

    Anonymous--Thanks for the info. I love Post Punk Kitchen. The recipe I saw on there doesn't look raw but looks like a great vegan chocolate cheesecake option. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so delicious looking! The price isn't too bad - if you think of it in terms of slices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. DebsDiabetesDriftsMay 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM

    Worth every cent! Savored the flavor by making a slice last a couple days with teasing 1/2 teaspoon tastes throughout the day! I love the Lemon best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried the strawberry Forever Cheesecake! Out of this world!!
    I've been searching for a sweet treat that I can eat once in a while and I've finally found it!!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)