Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pineapple Julep: A "Simple Saturday Sipper" to Welcome Spring

This week's "Simple Saturday Sipper" is a Pineapple Julep, a wonderful way to kickoff the spring season. The term 'julep' is generally defined as a sweet drink, usually a cocktail, and the origin of the word is Arabic (julāb, from Persian gulāb, from gul rose + āb water). Most familiar is the mint julep made from bourbon, water, sugar, ice and garnished with mint. This particular version has no alcohol (although I won't tell if you decide to slip some in), it contains peppermint tea, pineapple juice and mint and comes from "Superfoods: Nutrient-Dense Foods to Protect Your Health" by Michael van Straten & Barbara Griggs.


The drink is supposed to be good for digestion from the pineapple and mint, and also good for fatigue from the energizing peppermint. Pineapple contains bromelain that aids proper digestion and is also considered to contain compounds with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. Mint, in addition to being a great soother for an upset stomach and digestive aid is stimulating for the circulatory system, heart and nerves. Besides the heath benefits, the combination of peppermint and pineapple in this drink is refreshing and delicious.



Pineapple Julep
"Superfoods" by Michael van Straten & Barbara Griggs
(Serves 1, but can be multiplied to serve to serve more)

1 peppermint teabag
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup pineapple juice
a sprig of fresh mint, crushed

Put the tea bag in a cup and fill with boiling water. Let infuse for 6 minutes, then strain and cool. When cold, add the pineapple juice, mint leaves, and serve over ice.


Notes/Results: Really good! The sweetness of the pineapple juice combined with the coolness of the mint work well together. I used loose peppermint tea, as I had it on hand and brewed it in the morning, enjoying a cup hot and cooling down the rest for the julep. A skewer of pineapple cubes and mint leaves makes a great garnish and snack.You could easily make this into a tasty cocktail by adding a shot of your favorite alcohol. This pineapple julep made a nice afternoon pick-me-up and I would make it again.

Enjoy your weekend!

19 comments:

  1. sounds like a nice way to welcome spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can concur that mint actually does help to "cure" an upset stomach. Or at least make it feel infinitely better! I love pineapple juice...this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds completely wonderful! Ive never mixed pineapple with mint, but have mixed orange and mint. I would think the pineapple would add a more mellow flavor than the orange did. It looks like a sign of spring breaking forth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really refreshing. I love anything with mint in it. You are a wonderful source for great drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Saturday! This looks like a very refreshing drink! I wish I was in Hawaii right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does look refreshing and delicious! I could go for one right about now..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look so delicious, Deb! You won't mind if I spill a little dark rum into mine, right? ;)

    Though, that said, I'll bet its wonderful just as it is. Love mint and pineapple, and any drink made with tea is a-ok by me. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds perfect! Warm sun, cool breeze, Pineapple Julep, relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat--thanks!

    Joanne--It's one of my favorite home remedies. ;-)

    oneilslab--mahalo--it is a great combination and fun to try.

    Mary--thanks! I am a mint fan too.

    Fresh, Local & Best--thanks and Happy Saturday to you too!

    Natashya--it is very refreshing!

    Diva--I think a little rum would be an excellent addition. ;-)

    Kate--thank you--I can't complain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mint juleps and this sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With the horse races ready to start, the mint juleps are everywhere in KY right now! I would definitely rather have your version with the pineapple. I love mint, but those mint juleps are too potent for me;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. very refreshing and easy to make drink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks like a great summer drink.
    I like that picture of the floating mint leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living in KY, I love my bourbon and that includes mint juleps. Although many people I know around here don't like them. I have to disagree though and that time of year is coming up - Derby season!

    This one sounds delcious! I love finding twists on the traditional. I think this would be good with or without the bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam--thanks! I think it is a fun twist. ;-)

    Kim--I am sure they pack a punch! ;-)

    Trendsetters--Mahalo! ;-)

    Andreas--thanks! I saw it floating there so perfectly and had to take a picture. ;-)

    Lori--Thanks! I agree this is a fun twist with bourbon or without it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This must be really refreshing. Should try this to Beat the Heat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shirley--thanks! I think it would be great to beat the heat. ;-)

    Denise--Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very refreshing for these spring days.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)