Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hot Rum-and-Pineapple Toddies: A Warming "Simple Saturday Sipper" with a Tropical Twist

Uh-oh..two cocktails in two weeks as my "Simple Saturday Sippers"--maybe I need an intervention?! It's really that I just couldn't resist making these Hot Rum-and-Pineapple Toddies after seeing them in this month's Everyday With Rachel Ray magazine. Confession time--I am not a big Rachel Ray fan, frankly she drives me a bit crazy, but I had picked up the magazine while waiting in line and found a couple of recipes in it that looked intriguing. This drink was created by Scott Beattie, mixologist and author of "Artisanal Cocktails". He tops his toddies with maple-whipped cream, but since I am not doing dairy I left it off (although I am sure it was quite delicious that way!), and instead garnished with small skewers of grilled pineapple chunks. It's a great cocktail for a cold night when you need a warm drink with a little island flavor.


Hot Rum-and-Pineapple Toddies
Scott Beattie, Everyday With Rachel Ray, March 2010
(Makes 4)

1 cup pineapple juice
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup dark rum

In a small saucepan, bring the pineapple juice , 2 tablespoons maple syrup, the lemon juice and cinnamon stick to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes; remove from the heat.

Meanwhile in a medium bowl, beat the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup until soft peaks form.

Divide the pineapple-maple mixture among 4 small teacups or mugs. Discard the cinnamon stick. Add 1/4 cup rum to each cup; top with the maple whipped cream.


Notes/Results: Oh yeah...that warms the throat and right on down! The pineapple juice (I used fresh,100% juice) and the maple syrup make it rich and sweet and are perfect with the dark rum. It's an easy drink to make, is quite delicious and packs a punch--probably the reason for the small serving sizes. I would make this again.

Happy Saturday! I am headed out early to the farmers market and then to a vegetarian pressure cooking class--time to stop being chicken and learn to use my pressure cooker! ;-)

What are you doing today?

11 comments:

  1. could've used something like this today, the cold is back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I need to deal with my cold right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Deb! You had me at rum!! I am definately making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pineapples are one of my favorite fruits! Or were. Until I started being allergic to them. I miss my pineapple-eating-days and this is a prime example of why! Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I need this drink before I have to go start shoveling again!
    Looks so soothing and delicious, and I love the mug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg This looks beautiful. I'm not even a rum fan and want to give this a try. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, your Hot Rum would be a huge hit back here on the East Coast during our "winter that will not leave". And the addition of a pineapple stirrer makes it even more of a warming welcome. Thanks for a great winter sipper...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another interesting and refreshing sipper, Deb. We are going to a hellebore garden open house today and will have a few friends come back home with us for cake and...Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds both unique and delicious. I don't think I could pass up the maple whipped cream though (maple is a total weakness for me). I bet you had a lovely time at the farmer's market. Hopefully you'll post about your vegetarian pressure cooking class!

    I did some specialty food shopping in Lexington today. Tyler's recipes had me running all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely toddies with tropical flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, so if i had two cocktails in as many days...is that bad? LOL. This sounds really good...especially the maple whipped cream. I think we're suppose to get some rain this weekend. I'm just gonna have to give this a try, now aren't I?

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)