Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Heart-Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World

Instead of the usual Tuesday "Things I Am Loving This Week" post, here's a cookie I am loving instead! ;-)

With February being "American Heart Month" good heart-healthy recipes are all over. One doesn't necessarily think of cookies as being particularly heart-healthy so when I saw this recipe for "The Heart-Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World" in my Vegetarian Times recipes email, I knew I had to try it. I love the fact that the recipe incorporates walnuts, which are made into a nut butter that replaces the normal butter and eggs. Walnuts have the highest amounts of essential omega-3 fats of any nuts, and omega-3's have been shown to help lower triglycerides and reduce plaque formation, among their other benefits. It also incorporates rolled oats and oat flour, a good source of fiber and antioxidants--great for heart health. Good for you sure, but the important test is texture and taste--would these healthier cookies still be soft, chewy, and good?



Vegetarian Times says: "When you replace butter and eggs with ground walnuts, and all-purpose flour with a blend of oat flour and oatmeal, you get a moist, chewy, vegan cookie that’s loaded with good-for-your-heart ingredients."

You can find the recipe from the February 2009 Vegetarian Times online at their website here.


The Heart-Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World
Vegetarian Times, February 2009
(Makes about 30 cookies)

3 Tbs. canola oil
2 cups walnuts
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups oat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
3 (3.5-oz.) bars bittersweet vegan chocolate, chopped, or 1½ cups vegan chocolate chips (12 oz.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.

Blend walnuts in food processor 30 seconds, or until ground into a fine meal. Add canola oil, and blend 2 to 3 minutes more, or until mixture has the consistency of natural peanut butter, scraping down sides of food processor occasionally. Transfer to bowl.

Whisk together brown sugar and ½ cup water in small saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. Pour brown sugar mixture over ground walnut butter, add vanilla extract, and stir until no lumps remain. Whisk together oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture. Cool 10 minutes. Fold in oats, then chocolate chips.

Shape cookie dough into 2-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten cookies with bottom of drinking glass dipped in water. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown and tops look dry. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional Information

Per Cookie: Calories: 173, Protein: 3g, Total fat: 10g, Saturated fat: 3g, Carbs: 21g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 122mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 12g



Notes/Results: Yum! A delicious oatmeal cookie, chewy. moist and full of chocolate. These are good enough that you wouldn't suspect they are a healthier option. The walnut nut butter is a great technique and makes the cookies dairy-free. I'll be experimenting with it in other cookie recipes. These cookies store well and remain soft and good, and are perfect with a cup of vanilla chai (as shown here) or maybe a soy latte. A better cookie choice for an occasional indulgence, I will definitely make these again.


I'll be back with some "Things I Am Loving" next week. ;-)

Aloha!

16 comments:

  1. I saw this in my veg times email as well and my interest was definitely piqued. Any healthy cookie sounds like a good cookie to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for healthy cookies to fill our cookie jar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of starting with a walnut butter. I definitely want to give these a try. I need to go research either making my own oat flour or buying it somewhere. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow they look amazing thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, these cookies look amazing! They are almost a granola cookie. Being a cookie-holic, I need to keep a batch of these on hand all the time.

    Many thanks for leading me to heart-healthy cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to try this cookie. I love how hearty and chunky this cookie is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies look wonderful with oats - very nutritious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm, i had no idea you could make chocolate chip cookies healthy

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so crunchy and delicious! Love the chunkiness going on in them too! Yummy bits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am for healthy cookies - they look great! I especially love the heart shaped one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummie, love oatmeal cookies...and the heart shape is very cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great and I love the idea behind the walnuts. I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, what a great recipe. I love all these substitutions. I'm giving these a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could make those - they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all for a healthy cookie! Especially one packed with oats. They look so chunky and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)