Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cranberry-Apple Cider Shandy from Tyler Florence--A Perfect "Simple Saturday Sipper" for the Holidays


This week's "Simple Saturday Sipper", Cranberry-Apple Cider Shandies, are from Tyler Florence, via Oprah's website (here).


According to Wikipedia "Shandygaff or Shandy, a beverage first invented in the United Kingdom, is beer flavoured with ginger beer or ginger ale. Carbonated lemonade or citrus-flavored soda may also be used. The proportions of the two ingredients are adjusted to taste, normally half-and-half, although shandy that is sold canned or bottled is typically much weaker (about one part beer to ten parts sweet soda)." In this case, Tyler's Shandies are are great combination of fall flavors using cranberry juice and hard apple cider.


Tyler Florence's Cranberry-Apple Cider Shandy
Tyler Florence on Oprah.com
(Serves 4-6)

1 cup cranberry juice
2 cups ice
4 pints hard apple cider

In a food processor or blender, combine ice and cranberry juice and process for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture tightens up and takes on the texture of a slushy. Use an ice cream scoop to portion out among glasses, then top off with chilled hard cider. Garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve in mason jars for a fun presentation.


Notes/Results: Refreshing and good. I liked the combination of flavors as well as having the scoop of "slushy" cranberry juice with the slight carbonation of the hard cider. Since I used an unsweetened cranberry juice, I found that I needed to add a touch of agave to sweeten it just a bit. These were the perfect accompaniment to a slightly spicy curry soup I fixed (tune in tomorrow for that), and would be fun to serve at a holiday party. I would make this again.

Have you ever tried a Shandy?

11 comments:

  1. I love that you did a Tyler recipe. I miss that man.

    Cranberry is ideal for this time of year. Sounds so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice, my Grandma love shandy lemonade with beer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried a shandy, they sound like they would feel really nice on your throat!
    Love the vibrant colour, and that you served them in jelly jars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually Shandy everything. This looks so festive and appealing... ! Looks very pretty too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds tart and refreshing and kind of like a great after dinner drink, somewhat of a palate cleanser. I have never had a shandy though. I'm so happy to see that you did a Tyler recipe! I was thinking about TFF yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, a great Saturday Sipper for the upcoming holiday week. Love that you used old mason jars to serve it in,too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous! I have to have me some of this :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really good idea - a half pint of lager shandy is one of my regular summer pub orders, but doing it this way sounds perfect for cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so refreshing!! kinda like winters version of lemonade

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)