Friday, March 27, 2009

Tropical Popcorn and Smoothies for Tyler Florence Fridays


While searching online for healthy Tyler Florence recipes, I came across the recipes he developed for his recent Oprah show appearance. (Here on Oprah.com). The Tropical Popcorn caught my eye and I decided to pair it with his Tropical Smoothie for a decently healthy snack. Although there is some sugar in it, the popcorn has excellent fiber and also plenty of nutrients from the dried fruit and the smoothie has ample vitamins from the fruit, calcium from the yogurt, and healthy fat from the coconut milk. 

Tropical Popcorn
Recipe created by Tyler Florence
(Makes 2 cups)--see note below

1 bag plain, lightly salted, microwave popping corn
3 Tbsp. dried cranberries
3 Tbsp. dried pineapple
3 Tbsp. chopped dried mango
1/4 cup banana chips
3 Tbsp. shredded toasted coconut


Make popcorn following directions on the packet and microwave guidelines. In a large mixing bowl, combine popcorn and dried fruit and coconut and toss well to mix.

Notes/Results: A fun way to enjoy popcorn. Lots of flavor and a great combination of textures and colors make this an easy, delicious treat. I used Newman's Own; "Pop's Corn" which is just organic popcorn, no salt and no butter, and I used low sugar pineapple and mangoes in the fruit mix. For simplicity sake, I toasted my coconut chips in the microwave; you just have to do it in 15-20 second bursts, shaking the microwave plate frequently until the coconut browns. Because my popcorn had no salt, I added about a teaspoon of Alaea salt, (Hawaiian red salt), which was a nice pairing with the sweet dried fruit. I think with a little brown rice syrup, it would make a fun tropical popcorn ball. One note, the recipe says that this makes 2 cups?!? A packet of popcorn makes about 10+ cups when popped, unless it is a "single portion" bag, but the proportion of the fruit would be too much for a single portion, so go figure...


Tyler Florence's Tropical Smoothie
Recipe Created by Tyler Florence
(Makes 4 Servings)

fresh pineapple (if using canned, drain juice)
3 bananas
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup plain organic yogurt
 

Cut the top and skin off of the pineapple and cut in to chunks. Peel the banana and break in to pieces in the blender. Add the pineapple chunks, coconut milk and yogurt, and process until smooth. (Add a little water if the consistency is too thick.)

Pour the mixture into 4 glasses.


Note from Tyler: "The coconut milk adds plant fats that help support the immune system, and your child will burn them off as energy instead of storing them as fat."



Notes/Results: Good and tropical. I make a lot of smoothies, mostly with almond milk or yogurt but had never used coconut milk in one before and I liked the richness it adds. I did use a "lite" coconut milk (which is essentially just diluted coconut milk but it does shave off 50-60% of the calories) and non-fat Greek yogurt and fresh pineapple. Making this again, I would probably toss in some frozen mango chunks too. This smoothie is best served in a glass with a straw and at least one plastic cocktail monkey, (although two is always better). If I hadn't cut all my pineapple into little chunks without thinking, a slice on the side of the glass would be a nice garnish too. (I just threw a couple of chunks on top of the smoothie). 

This isn't a snack I would eat all the time, (the popcorn is a bit addicting though), but it is a fun, occasional treat, and we all need those once in awhile!

You can check out what the other TFF participants selected to make this week and find out what they thought about their picks at the TFF site here. If you like Tyler and want the flexibility to pick the Tyler recipes you want to make each week, the TFF site has all the information on how to join us.

Happy Aloha Friday and have a great weekend!

20 comments:

  1. Popcorn is definitely addicting...a favorite around here. This way looks so fun and easy. If I made the popcorna nd the smoothie together, my daughter would be in heaven! Looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Girls' nite food!
    I will, of course, be bringing the vodka for those smoothies...
    Bellissima!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great snacks! I'd hoped to join TFF this week. I made his chicken with a lemon herb dressing earlier this week. Followed the directions to a T and would have had to name it "The Towering Inferno." The dressing/marinade was super, but his cooking instructions and my grill didn't mesh. Oh, well, another time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These tropical snack sound perfect for a TFF slumber party :) I will have to try that popcorn, I bet the kids would love it. The smoothie sounds wonderful too, I make far too few smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun Tyler combination! Way to think out of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these look great - in fact, I'm off to make a smoothie right now, and I do have some coconut milk in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this post. The popcorn sounds like such a nice, light, delicious snack, and the smoothie is so refreshing! I plan to try both of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tropical popcorn sounds so fruity, sweet, salty. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great...grandkids are coming for the summer, this is going into my recipe box for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious little treat! I'd like to sit down with a movie and both of them to keep me company...actually all three-counting Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the popcorn and smoothie sound delicious, I'll have to book mark this one too. We usually have smoothies for breakfast with frozen strawberries, yogurt and canned pineapple or mangerine oranges- the coconut milk would be a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great combo... popcorn and a smoothie. YUM! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great! I am now craving a smoothie. I enjoy reading your healthy spin on the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tropical Popcorn...who'd a thought! And a Tyler Smoothie too. I love the little monkeys hanging on the edge of the glass, very clever!

    I think I might try the Tropical Popcorn when my nieces are here. I'm pretty sure they will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have all the ingredients for that smoothie, so guess what I am having tomorrow morning?

    Popcorn is fun food - and adding all the good stuff makes it even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe looks delicious and how could you go wrong with monkey garnish! I really liked the look of the banana chips. I did post the #1 cookie recipe on my site if you want to bake both and compare (my plans for tomorrow) Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely at least one cocktail monkey. That popcorn looks like such a tasty snack - and as for those pina colada-esque smoothies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder if my kids would eat the popcorn? It would make a good thing to add to their lunches.
    Love the monkeys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these recipes. I will have to try them. Right after I find those adorable monkeys to go with them

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)