Thursday, November 13, 2008

Herb-Roasted Onions--Barefoot Bloggers

This month's first recipe is Herb-Roasted Onions, selected by Kelly of Baking With the Boys. I was glad to see her pick this recipe because I probably would not have thought to try it myself and we can all use great new ideas for side dishes.

You can find the recipe on the Food Network here as well as The Barefoot Contessa at Home, page 156.


Herb-Roasted Onions
Barefoot Contessa At Home, Ina Garten

2 red onions
1 yellow onion
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root intact. Peel the onion. Stand each onion root end up on a cutting board and cut the onion in wedges through the root. Place the wedges in a bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the onions and toss well. With a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a sheet pan, reserving the vinaigrette that remains in the bowl. Bake the onions for 30 to 45 minutes, until tender and browned. Toss the onions once during cooking. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the reserved dressing. Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.


I liked these onions, they are flavorful, quick and easy to make. The roasting mellows the flavor and I loved the thyme, lemon and mustard flavors in the dressing. I used a grainy Dijon mustard and liked that texture in there too. I realized I forgot to buy the fresh thyme so I ended up using dried, but the flavor was still there. I also might have gotten "chop happy" with the ends of my onions as most of my wedges came apart. Actually, my favorite part of the dish were the pieces that fell off and got all crispy and really brown. Although I ended up eating this dish with fish and salsa, if I made it again I would serve it with steak.


Thanks Kelly for another great Barefoot Bloggers pick. Check out the other BB's results here and join us next week where there are two optional recipes that can be posted--Mini Orange Chocolate Chunk Cakes picked by Lisa from Lime in the Coconut for designing our great new Barefoot Bloggers avatar (above) and Chive-Risotto Cakes picked by yours truly for referring the most people to the Barefoot Bloggers site (Who would have guessed? Lucky me!) Thinking of joining us for Barefoot Bloggers? Check it out here.

If you love spending time with Ina on Thursdays
and want to hang out with Tyler Florence on Fridays,
join us for TFF--Tyler Florence Fridays.
You pick your favorite Tyler recipes to cook and post each week--starting this week.
Get the details at the new TFF site here.

15 comments:

  1. I loved the crunchy bits too. I couldn't stop eating them.
    They look fab, I love the blue serving dish.
    Grainy mustard is a good idea, I might put even more mustard in next time. I really like mustard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved teh overdone bits too - something in those caramelized bits is very more-ish. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought these would be great with steak, too! We also really loved the crunchy pieces. These did mellow nicely. I think these are great as a side dish, and would be good "in" things, too. Yours look wonderful, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree those would be wonderful with steak! I just ordered a new Ina cookbook and the post before last was from Tyler's Ultimate. Have to check out your new site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try these! And thanks for the tip – I'll try to pair them with beef.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, I have spent the last few days trying to catch up on all of favorite blogs... I'm hitting you soon!

    Glad you liked the onions, I agree... I probably never would have tried this if it weren't for barefoot. Also... those burnt pieces... oh baby!

    ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, these were really great - and definitely not something I would have tried on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the crispy parts, too. I might roast mine slightly longer next time. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! The crispy parts look great and I think it would be awesome with steak. Great job Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have loved to had more crispy and brown too! I am not sure I cooked mine long enough, but the aroma was delicious. Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, the overdone parts were the best. OMG!! Tyler Fridays?! I am going to think about it for a minute, but expect to see me soon. Love me some Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours look so pretty! I love onions, so this dish was screaming (that's right, screaming) for me to cook it since I got my copy of Barefoot Contessa at Home. And I liked the crispy bits, too.

    And, I kept thinking this would be great with steak. I had it with smoked sausage and it made a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! This looks fantastic! Would be so good with some grilled chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look delicious. You cut them perfectly. Mine fell apart, but they still tasted good.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)