Saturday, June 21, 2008

Edamame-Feta Dip

So its Saturday night and what am I doing? I am home making food for tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be one of the things I like least in a Sunday--BUSY. All good stuff, but I like my Sundays slow and mellow to ease myself into the week. Tomorrow however, I have a baby shower I am co-hosting at noon--have to be there at 10:00 to set up. Then I have an early dinner at one of my partner's houses for a mentor of ours and former boss of mine, who is in Hawaii to talk at our Managers' Meeting on Monday. For the shower, I got off easy in the food department and I am just making three kinds of little sandwiches and a pomegranate-strawberry punch; both of which I prepped tonight but will assemble tomorrow. For dinner tomorrow night, I volunteered to make the pupus (appetizers), and decided to go easy with those too by making a couple of my favorite "standbys"; very simple to make and very good. Both are dips--one warm and one cold. I thought I would post one tonight and then post the other tomorrow.

The first dip, Edamame-Feta Dip, I found in Eating Well Magazine several years ago (It's also in one of their cookbooks) and I have been making it ever since. The combination of the edamame and feta is delicious and works not only as a dip, but makes a great sandwich spread too. It goes together quickly in a food processor or blender and I like to serve it with rice crackers, pita chips or vegetables. It is relatively healthy, always wins raves when people try it and is a great alternative to hummus.

Edamame-Feta Dip
EatingWell Magazine, Summer 2003 & The Essential EatingWell Cookbook
Recipe by Joyce Hendley
Prep time: 20 minutes Start to finish: 1 hour (including 1/2 hour resting time)To make ahead: The dip will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Ease of preparation: Easy
-----------
2 cups frozen shelled edamame (fresh soybeans)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
---------
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add edamame and garlic; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until edamame are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
2. Place the edamame, garlic, 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, feta, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender. Puree, scraping down the sides as needed, until completely smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl or storage container.
3. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the dip and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to blend. Thin with additional cooking liquid to desired consistency, if necessary.

Serve at room temperature. Makes 1-3/4 cups.
Per tablespoon: 31 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrate; 2 g

6 comments:

  1. what do you serve this with? sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K&S, I serve it with a number of things--warm pita triangles, pita chips, veggies, etc. I often serve it with the pictured rice crackers--these are sesame. I liked a lighter chip with this dip and these fit the bill. It's great as a spread for a wrap or veggie sandwich too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy, thanks telling me what you serve it with :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. Exactly what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DeeAmi--I hope you like it--it's a favorite of mine and always a hit at gatherings. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)