Sunday, June 22, 2008

Curried Spinach Dip

OK, I'm at home. winding down from a busy day and evening and on to posting Dip #2--Curried Spinach Dip from 12 Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi. I discovered this cookbook and this dip about a year ago and have made it several times since then. There are some great, healthy recipes in this cookbook and she recently came out with a new cookbook,which I purchased the other day but I haven't cooked from it yet. This recipe is most definitely a keeper--this dip, deliciously spiced and served warm, never fails to please even those non-adventurous eaters and it puts curry lovers over the moon. I have taken the dip bowl away to refill it and warm it up and literally have people follow me with a piece of bread or cracker in their hands just waiting to be able to dunk again.

Curried Spinach Dip
12 Best Foods Cookbook, Dana Jacobi

1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 vegetable bouillon cube
2 tsp canola oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
2 Tbsp light cream cheese
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1) Combine the curry, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Dissolve the bouillon cube in 1/2 cup hot water and set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion until it is soft, 4 minutes. Mix in the garlic and continue cooking until the onion starts to brown, 3-4 minutes. Mix in the spices.
3) Add the spinach, pulling it apart with your fingers. Pour in the bouillon. Simmer until the spinach mixture is dry, 5 minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and mix in the cream cheese and yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.


Makes 1 1/2 cups
Per serving (1 tbsp) 13 calories, 1 g fat, 0 saturated fat, 1 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates.


I do have a bit of a "quirk" in making this recipe that I have to share. When I first made it, I did not have any cream cheese on hand. Deciding that the cream cheese was probably for texture and to bind it a little bit, I substituted a garlic and herb Almond Cheese for the cream cheese. Since I liked the results so much, I keep making it that way. I am sure the cream cheese would be equally as good. I also usually add another Tbsp of curry because I like a bit more curry flavor. I serve this with warm pita bread, pita chips or any other somewhat "sturdy" dipper.

4 comments:

  1. this sounds good too! it is so humid here these days that I don't feel like standing in front of the stove to cook anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like my dip. It's exciting that my book is being enjoyed in Hawaii.

    My newest book, The Essential Best Foods Cookbook, also has great dips, like Three Onion Dip and a pesto with lemon, and lots of other delicious healthy recipes.

    Enjoy!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. K&S--thanks! This is a wonderful dip and you can throw it together pretty quick--just a quick cooking of the onion and garlic--the whole cookbook is great!

    Dana--WOW! I am in love with this recipe and your first book and having bought the second one last week--can't wait to cook from it too. Thanks for stopping by--it's an honor! Since I cook and share a lot, your cookbook and recipes get enjoyed by many here in Honolulu! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! Great for a dinner with a little salad (at least for me it would be! )

    Anything with Curry is great for me!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)