Sunday, May 15, 2022

Three Recovery Soups for COVID and Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

After chasing me down for two years, COVID finally caught up with me last week, It knocked me out for a while and it's still kicking me as we speak. The exhaustion is real and I find myself wanting to drop and take a nap every few hours. I have been eating a lot of soup, canned, deli, from my freezer, it's been a relief for my stuffy nose and cough. So in honor of restorative soups, here are three to get you through a cold or COVID. 

(6/5 Update: I am feeling much better but still not cooking/tasting much so I have put the Souper Sundays ink back up for yet another week and will recap everything next weekend.)

The Cure-All Lentil Soup from Sweet Potato Soul by Jenné Claiborne who says that she calls this soup the "cure-all" because of how nutritious it is. She notes that she modeled it after her Nana's chicken soup--replacing the chicken with lentils. I added extra potato because I had two Yukon Golds I needed to use and used the smaller Puy green lentils because I had them in my pantry and like the firmer texture they add.
  


A flashback to 2010 and a Oregon classic, Elephant's Cure Chicken Soup, has enough ginger and spice to kick the germs out. From the Oregonian: For centuries, chicken soup has been a trusted home remedy to fight colds and flu, and though science has never nailed down its exact medicinal value, there are some things we know: Warm stock helps ward off chills; its vapors help loosen nasal and respiratory congestion; and it's an easy way to get some calories and nutrients into your system when your appetite is droopy. One of the most soothing chicken soups around is Elephants' "Cure," a rich and spicy broth that's loaded with ginger, garlic, lemon grass and serrano chiles, a potent blend of ingredients that have known curative powers. "There's no real proof that chicken soup can cure the common cold," says Scott Weaver, the executive chef of Elephants Delicatessen, where Elephants' "Cure" is on the menu throughout the winter and available in the freezer case year-round. "But there is proof that a lot of these ingredients that are in here can help your immune system."Like the serranos, which are loaded with vitamin C. Or garlic, which has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, and helps fight cholesterol and high blood pressure."And there's just something about chicken," Weaver says. "It's something you grew up with. Your mother probably made it, so it takes you back. It's a real comfort thing, and when you're sick and miserable you want something that's soothing and comforting."The ample use of ginger and lemon grass gives Elephants' "Cure" a hint of Asian flavors, evoking the spicy Thai soups that take the sting out of a sore throat. It's a nod to the global reach of chicken soup, which spans continents and cultures."



Finally, Giada de Laurentiis' Pastina Soup is perfect when you need a simple, comforting bowl of soupy pasta goodness. Giada says that the "final 'soup' is a cross between a risotto and a very thick stew" since the tiny pasta soaks up all of the flavor and liquid when they cook. 



Any of these will make you feel better, half the battle when you are recovering.

We have a couple of dishes waiting in the Souper Sundays kitchen--let's take a look! 

The link up below will be open for a couple of weeks, so feel free to add a soup, salad or sandwich creation and I'll highlight them soon.


Melynda of Scratch Made Food shared a Quinoa Tabbouleh salad saying, "Full of fresh vegetables, lemon, and parsley this salad is perfect to serve alongside grilled meat for a light dinner. Quinoa Tabbouleh is going to be your new favorite this summer, I can already tell! There is a bit of prep work to make this salad, but it goes quickly and the flavor of Quinoa Tabbouleh is worth it!"



Thank you, Melynda for joining me. 

If you'd like to join in Souper Sundays, I am opening up the below link for two weeks while I try to finish deciding what my go-forward looks like. 

Anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches any time during the two weeks and I will post a recap of the entries on Sunday in two weeks.) 

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.  

To join in this week's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:

  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you.

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • please mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and link back to this post.
  • you are welcome to add the wonderful Souper Sundays logo (created by Ivy at Kopiaste) to your post and/or blog (optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Current Link through 6/12/2022:

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

  1. Feel better soon! Starting three years ago (early on) we all had COVID then when the next round came, that one also and finally the last one. I knew as I lost my sense of smell completely. We weren't hit hard fortunately, but got all three. PS your lentil soup looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! No! I hope this passes quickly and i am so sorry to hear you got the Covid. Wish I could bring you soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope by the time you're reading this comment, you are MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just linkled with a tomato and cucumber salad. Hope you are over the worst of the covid!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel better when I eat soup. I had Covid in December and was sick for 2 weeks- nothing terrible, but I did have a fever for a few days, was extremely tired, and had raspy voice. I hope you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)