Sunday, August 1, 2021

Simple Vegan Curry and Rice Soup with Tofu and Chickpeas: One-Pot Meal for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

I had a craving for creamy korma-style Indian curry and rice so I decided to make it into a soup this week to make a one-pot meal, and to use up some leftover veggies, herbs and pantry ingredients. 


I used non-chicken stock and coconut milk with chickpeas and tofu as proteins to make this a vegan soup. You I wanted mild and creamy but you can adjust your curry and spices for some kick. You could also leave out the rice and serve it separately, but sometimes I just want it easy and involving as few pans as possible. 


Chickpea Curry and Rice Soup
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes About 6 Servings)

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 cup korma curry paste
2 tsp Garam Masala
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
4 cups vegetable or non-chicken stock
1 cup Jasmine or Basmati rice
16-oz package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed and cut into 3/4" pieces
1 cup frozen green peas
1 can (15-oz) coconut milk
sea salt and black pepper
juice of 1 lime, optional
chopped cilantro or Thai basil to garnish
naan bread to serve

In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot heat the oil over medium and add the onion, carrot, and red pepper. Sauce about 6-7 minutes, until vegetables soften and onion translucent. Add garlic, ginger, curry paste and garam masala and cook about 2 more minutes. add the chickpeas and stock and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, then bring back to a slow boil and add rice. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is mostly cooked. Add tofu and peas and stir in coconut milk, return to a simmer and cook another 10 minutes until vegetables and rice are cooked  and tofu is warmed through. Taste and add sea salt, black pepper and lime juice if using. 

Serve, garnished with cilantro or Thai basil and serve with grilled naan bread. Enjoy!


Notes/Results: Exactly what I wanted, creamy, flavorful, rich and satisfying. It also was very easy to toss together, which makes it even better. the soft chewy naan that I toasted/grilled on a rack in my toaster oven, was perfect for dipping. ZZThis swill make for great lunches this week. I will happily make it again. 


Let's see who is in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week. 


Debra of Eliot's Eats shared the Potato Sandwiches with Pepperoni and Basil she made for Cook the Books, saying, "I knew I wanted to make something with potatoes and I recently came across a recipe for Potato, Chorizo, and Egg Sandwiches. Since the immigrants were fascinated by sandwiches upon their arrival, I decided to modify this recipe just a bit. ... The original recipe calls for Yukon gold potatoes, but I used plain old russet potatoes. I figured that was probably what was available to the book’s families. So here you go—my composite homage to all that lived at 97 Orchard.  Even though Ziegelman didn’t mention a lot of potatoes in the Italian section of the book, I tried to include them here with the peppers, pepperonis, and basil."



Tina of Squirrel Head Manor shared Caesar Salad saying, "We have had some good luck with movies lately and had a pizza night to watch one of them. A salad of romaine with fresh parmesan, tomatoes, toasted bread crumbs and a creamy dressing was a good accompaniment. ... The pizza is from a locally owned restaurant called Solle’s and we like supporting local businesses. The salad we tossed together from fridge ingredients."



Radha of The Magical Ingredients for a Wholesome Life from the Heart of My Home brought a Caprese Salad, saying, "This salad can be made in no time. Very simple and easy. Ingredients are fresh and simple and the recipe is simple too! The fresh tomatoes and basil of the summer gives wonderful flavor. Though this can be had any time of the year, the season's produce always has the peak flavor enhancing the flavor profile of the meal. All you need to do is stack the slices and sprinkle salt and pepper, drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That easy.



Simona of briciole shared Kohlrabi Slaw with Fresh Fruit and says, "Kohlrabi and carrot go well together. The original recipe for this slaw was kindly shared with me by Kelsey Perone of Rain Frog Farm located near Blue Lake, CA (details in an article I wrote for the North Coast Journal1). The recipe includes raisins (uvetta) and I have also prepared it with dried cherries. The version I am sharing here uses fresh fruit instead."


Thanks to Debra, Tina, Radha, and Simona for joining me this week! 

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
  • Although we are pretty wide on what defines a soup, sandwich or salad, entries that are clearly not in the same family (ie: desserts, meats, random main or side dishes that aren't salads, etc.) are meant for another round up and will be deleted. 
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!

 

3 comments:

  1. Deb,
    Your curry sounds delicious and filling. I would like mine mild too. I don't do well with too much of a kick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. YEAH. I love me a curry and this soup is right up my alley. Not too hot but with a bit of kick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right Deb: sometimes we want as lovely a meal as can be made in just one pot. I like how you dealt with the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)