Sunday, May 23, 2021

Ina's Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

I usually wait until after Memorial Day to slide in a few chilled soups for the summer but the heart and stomach want what they want and I wanted cold cucumber soup. 


The trade winds died down this weekend and it's 80 degrees F., and so not having to turn on an oven or stove today was appealing. I chose Ina Garten's Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp as today's recipe because the shrimp make this soup more substantial and satisfying. Crab or smoked salmon would be equally delicious on top. 


Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp
From Ina Garten, Cook Like a Pro via Food Network
(Yields 9 Servings)

2 (17-oz) containers Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
3 hothouse cucumbers, unpeeled, seeded, and chopped
3/4 cup chopped red onion
9 scallions, white & green parts, chopped
2 Tbsp kosher salt, or to taste
1 Tbsp black pepper, or to taste
1/4 cup fresh dill
3/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
3/4 lb cooked large shrimp, halved
thin slices of lemon, halved, for garnish
fresh dill for garnish

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yogurt, half-and-half, cucumbers, red onion, scallions, salt, and pepper. Transfer the mixture in batches to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until cucumbers are coarsely pureed and then pour into another bowl. Continue processing the soup until all of it is pureed. Fold in the dill, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until very cold. 

Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. Serve chilled, garnished with the shrimp, lemon, and fresh dill.


Notes/Results: Tangy and refreshing from the lemon and yogurt I could almost feel this soup rehydrating me with every bite. The herby notes of the dill and sweetness of the shrimp are a nice contrast. I followed Ina's recipe mostly although I used my high-speed blender instead of dragging out my food processor and found I needed less salt (and pepper) than called for between the yogurt and the lemon. I love cucumbers in the summer and this soup makes the most of them. If you don't have a lot of experience with eating cold soups, I think cucumber is a good one to start with and this soup is quick and easy to make and would be perfect enjoyed al fresco with some crusty bread. I would happily make it again. 


Linking up with I Heart Cooking Clubs where the theme is Picnic Prep this week--recipes good for picnics and outdoor dining. 


It's just me in the Souper Sundays kitchen this week, but come and join me sometime with a soup, salad, or sandwich post. Details for joining in are below.


(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
  • Although we are pretty wide on what defines a soup, sandwich or salad, entries that are clearly not in the same family (ie: desserts, meats, random main or side dishes that aren't salads, etc.) are meant for another round up and will be deleted. 
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!
 

3 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and wonderful! Something about cucumber is so refreshing. I can see this recipe being a go to all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea for a summer soup. I especially love soups made with cucumbers, dill, and yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is precisely what I need in super hot southn Georgia! I love this soup and I made a copy of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)