Sunday, August 2, 2020

Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup: Quick & Refreshing for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

This week, I bring you the soup I tossed together while waiting for Hurricane Douglas to approach Hawaii. As a mentioned in my update to last week's post, the storm bypassed the islands and we got really lucky.


This is a simple and refreshing cold soup and my attempt to use two softening cucumbers and some Greek yogurt nearing its best-by date. Onion, rice vinegar and a bottle of freeze-dried dill rounded out the flavors.


Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes 4 Serving)

1 small sweet onion, chopped
2 large English cucumbers, peeled and chopped (reserved some diced cucumber reserved for serving)
8 oz plain Greek yogurt
2 Tsp dried dill or 1 Tbsp fresh dill, or to taste
1 Tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add additional vinegar, dill, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving and serve topped with reserved diced cucumber. Enjoy.


Notes/Results: I know that not everyone loves a cold soup or cucumbers, but they sure make for a simple cool, refreshing and really tasty soup. The vinegar and yogurt give it a brightness and the dill compliments the cucumber with its herby flavor notes. It takes all of about 10 minutes to put together and then just time to chill it. I will happily make it again.


We have some good friends in the Super Sunday kitchen this week--some that have been gathering since last week. Let's have a look at what they brought!


My friend, the lovely Tina of Squirrel Head Manor brought a salad and a sandwich this week. Her salad is one of my favorites Pea Salad, that she served with roasted chicken. Tina says, "For the life of me I can't find a recipe for the pea salad I had in mind so....I improvised.  Actually it's not like this is a hard salad to put together but I swear, think I saw one in Lee Bailey's cookbook or maybe Jacques Pépin.... No matter. ... This is a cold salad so for those us in the sweltering northern hemisphere, this is a perfect side dish. I can't call this a recipe as it's such a simple thing to toss together."



Tina also brought this delectable Avocado, Tomato & Cheese Melt. She says, "Let's talk lunch! It's an easy lunch you can make at home or on the road.  Do I post a recipe for this?  Nope - it's dead simple. ... This is vegetarian but you can obviously add any of your favorite ingredients like bacon. Oh, mushrooms would work for me too...or grilled or carmelized onions. Next time..............."



Beth Fish Reads joined us last week with these yummy-looking Faux Cubanos, saying "I did things slightly different from the recipe in the book. I don't know if our pitas were bigger than theirs, but we needed extra cheese and ham to cover the bread. So where the recipe says two slices of cheese and ham, we used three. Also, I am not a fan of mayo so we cut the ingredients in half and used the sauce on only one sandwich. Mr. BFR said the sauce was good. The photo is scanned from the cookbook because I was way too lazy and too hungry to set up a photo shoot.



Shaheen of Allotment2Kitchen shared Courgette Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce last week, saying, "Food at home this week has been light and simple all this week, because of my sensitive belly. The natural flavours from the vegetables and  fresh herbs came through in this Courgette and Tomato Pasta.  I also liked that the courgettes retained a bit of crunch.  Even though I was enjoying this colourful plate, I was struggling to eat everything on the plate, so the remainder was decanted into a tub and put in the fridge, either for later in the evening if I got hungry again or for the following day for lunch.



Judee of Gluten Free A-Z Blog stopped by this week with Vegan Peach Caprese Salad with Cashew Basil Dressing, saying "I have my kids for dinner (on the deck) every Friday night. With the unbearable heatwave we have been having, salads are what we feel like eating. I made my salad vegan, and added a delicious sweet cashew dressing, but you could easily add mozzarella cheese balls or slices if you eat dairy.


Thank you to everyone who joined in! 

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!

 

5 comments:

  1. I'm not one for cold soups, but i do love the colour of the cucumber yogurt soup. I think i would appreciate cold soups more in warmer climes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good yogurt and cucumber soup! I often struggle with what else to put in it besides the yogurt and cucumber. My recipe is made with garlic which my husband detests. I'll try your easy recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cuke soup sounds soooooo refreshing. My husband isn't a fan of cold soups, but I am. I'll have to add this to the summer list. Oh and it reminded me that I might have to make beet borscht this month too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to remember Greek yogurt for soups, that looks wonderful. I haven't had a cold soup in awhile but this humidity would call for it. You have quite the roundup this week!,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutting it close but linking a sammy up with Souper Sunday today! It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)