Sunday, February 23, 2020

Simple Thai Noodle Soup: Curry Goodness for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

We are celebrating the curries of the world at I Heart Cooking Clubs and I was craving That yellow curry--one of my very favorite curries. Looking online, I found Nigel Slater's Simple Thai Noodle Soup, and it looked perfectly easy and delicious.


I didn't find a need to change up the recipe except that I did add just a touch of agave to bring a sweetness to round out the spice and added lime juice.


Simple Thai Noodle Soup
Slightly Adapted from Nigel Slater via BBCFood.com
(Serves 2)

1 good knob fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1-2 red chillies, seeds removed (optional), roughly chopped
1-2 stalks lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, roughly chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 handful fresh coriander, a few sprigs reserved and chopped
a glug or two vegetable oil
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1-2 pinches ground turmeric
small jug vegetable stock
a couple of handfuls rice noodles
1 x 400ml/14fl oz can coconut milk
1 large handful raw, peeled tiger prawns (the shells and heads can be reserved for making stock in another recipe)
a few splashes Thai fish sauce, to taste

Blend the ginger, chilli, lemongrass, garlic and coriander in a food processor until quite finely chopped, adding a little vegetable oil if the paste is too dry.

Add the paste to a large shallow pan and cook for a few minutes to release the aromas, stirring frequently. Roughly crush some coriander seeds with a pestle and mortar and add to the paste with a pinch or two of turmeric and the vegetable stock and simmer for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, pour some boiling water over the rice noodles in a bowl and let them sit until they have softened, about 4-5 minutes, then drain and set aside.

To soften the heat of the sauce, add the coconut milk to the pan and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes while you devein the prawns by cutting along the back of the prawn with a small sharp knife and removing the black 'thread' using the point of the knife. Add the prawns to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until pink and tender, finishing off with splashes of Thai fish sauce, to taste, and more chopped fresh coriander, to your taste.

To serve, divide the drained noodles between two bowls and ladle over the aromatic soup with the prawns and serve straightaway. Chicken, scallops or mushrooms are a great alternative to the prawns.


Notes/Results: Simple and satisfying, this is a good soup as is and would make a nice base for more vegetables. I made the curry pasta in my blender and it was quick and easy. Once you have the components together, this soup comes together in a matter of minutes--making it a perfect and money-saving alternative to Thai take-out. I will happily make it again.


Linking up to I Heart Cooking Clubs for The Curry Trail! theme. 


Let's see what is going on in the Souper Sundays kitchen:

Tina of Squirrel Head Manor brought a classic Vegetable Soup and said, "This is an old recipe originating with my grandmother. She passed it on to my mother who made copious quantities and shared with both sets of grandparents and my Uncle Lew. Everyone loved it and I still do love it today. I make it the same way and my family enjoys it too. Fresh veggies and marrow bones make the difference I think.


Judee of Gluten Free A - Z Blog shared Persian Roasted Eggplant Soup saying,"Is this eggplant soup recipe of Persian or Lebanese origin? I'm not sure, but it's been in our family for many years. It's simple, delicious, and usually a crowd pleaser. We make it two ways: one with just roasted vegetables and the other way we add chickpeas after blending." 

Finally from here at Kahakai Kitchen, I made a tasty Potato Salad, jazzed up with a few of my favorite ingredients--capers, cornichons, and sweety drop peppers from the olive bar at my local grocery. It was excellent and was the perfect fix for another recent craving. ;-)


Thank you Tina and Judee for joining me this week!

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:

  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter
Have a happy, healthy week!


3 comments:

  1. I really like Thai flavours, but i am not a fan of noodles. Joining in this week. Hope your well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks fab! I love a good prawn dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum,Deb! This curry looks absolutely perfect. I see so many variations possible. A different version for every day!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)