Sunday, December 15, 2019

Jamie Oliver's Speedy Spiced Shrimp Soup for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

It's that time of year when life is busy, busy and I don't want to put a big effort in the kitchen so when I saw Jamie Oliver's Speedy Spiced Shrimp Soup recipe in his 5 Ingredients: Quick & Easy Food cookbook, I knew it was perfect for today's soup.



With frozen cooked shrimp and curry paste, it couldn't be easier and is ready in 20 minutes or so.



Speedy Spiced Shrimp Soup
Slightly Adapted from 5 Ingredients by Jamie Oliver
(Serves 4)

8 oz small frozen cooked peeled shrimp
2/3 cup white basmati rice
8 scallions
2 heaping tablespoons korma curry paste
1 x 14-oz can of light coconut milk

Place the shrimp in a bowl of cold water so they start to defrost. Meanwhile, dry-fry and toast the rice for 3 minutes in a large shallow casserole pan on a high heat, stirring regularly, while you trim and finely slice the scallions. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the scallions, and korma paste to the pan. Stir for 2 minutes, then pour in the coconut milk and 2 1/2 cans' worth of water. Boil for 12 minutes, stirring everything occasionally.

With 6 minutes to go, drain the shrimp, finely chop, and stir into the soup. When the rice is cooked through and the soup is your desired consistency, taste, season to utter perfection with sea salt and black pepper and dish up.



Notes/Results: Did I like this soup? Yes, obviously if you look at the final picture. ;-) It is simple but flavorful from the curry and rich from the coconut milk. My neighborhood grocery stores did not have a korma curry paste and I didn't have time to run to the Indian mercantile in town so I used the butter chicken curry paste I had in the pantry, planning  to make a butter tofu. I think it is fairly close to korma curry in flavor and equally as good. I like how quick and easy this soup is. I might add some spinach to it--maybe to the bowl so it warms and softens instead of gets slimy but otherwise, this was a tasty, low-effort soup that I would happily make again.



Linking up (and stretching it a bit) to I Heart Cooking Clubs where this week's theme is December Cuisine Spotlight: Holidays Around the World. I think you could take this Indian-inspired recipe from a British chef and serve it at an Italian-inspired Feast of the Seven Fishes dinner on Christmas Eve! ;-)



Have a soup, salad or sandwich that you'd like to share with the Souper Sundays kitchen? See the details below.

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:

  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up to Souper Sundays in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and add a link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to this post or my blog on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (completely optional).
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

Have a happy and healthy week!
 

3 comments:

  1. I think you stretched this out just fine! It also would be just a great Christmas Eve meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be my favorite soup of the year, Deb! Simple and full of my favorite things. Looks so comforting.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)