Sunday, January 20, 2019

Creamy Tomato & Gnocchi Soup with Spinach: Easy Comfort for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

I have house guests and wanted a soup that was tasty without a lot of time and effort. Gnocchi was on sale this week in the import section of my local grocery store and since I made a gnocchi soup a while back with beans and vegetables and love it, I thought I'd try another version.  I decided to keep this one simple and use tomatoes and spinach. A jar of vodka pasta sauce and a bit of sour cream help keep it rich and creamy.  


This soup was just tossed together from my head and what I had in my pantry so you can adapt it to your preferences--add more sour cream, use vegan dairy products, add more liquid/broth, etc.-it's all good.


Creamy Tomato & Gnocchi Soup with Spinach
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes 6 to 8 Servings)

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp Aleppo chile pepper or chile of choice (if desired)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 (14 oz) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes and their juices
1 jar good pasta sauce (I used creamy vodka sauce)
4 cups vegetable broth
pinch of sugar
1/2 cup sour cream if desired 
sea salt and pepper to taste
5 oz baby spinach, coarsely chopped
2 (16 oz packages) potato gnocchi
shaved Parmesan and basil leaves for garnish

In a large heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 7-8 minutes, until onion is softened and golden. Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Add dried basil, dried oregano, Aleppo chile, and cinnamon and saute another minute, until fragrant. 

Add the tomatoes and their juices, pasta sauce, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and puree the soup in batches in the blender. (I pureed about 3/4 of it.) Taste and add a pinch of sugar if desired. Stir in sour cream until completely blended. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired. 

Bring soup to a simmer and add the baby spinach and gnocchi and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until greens are wilted and gnocchi rise to the top. 

Serve hot, topped with shaved Parmesan and fresh basil. Enjoy!


Notes/Results: Creamy and satisfying this is an easy and tasty soup to throw together when you don't want to do a lot of chopping or fuss. The gnocchi pillows and spinach are delicious in the creamy soup. Great comfort food, I am looking forward to taking it for lunches this week. I would happily make it again.


Let's look into the Souper Sundays kitchen and see who is here:


A big welcome (or welcome back?) to Elizabeth, now blogging at Literature and Limes and here with a healthy Kale and Pine Nut Salad she paired with a recently read novel. She says, "I have been on a keto journey for half a year now. I have made considerable changes in my health by cutting out the vast majority of carbs. I decided I needed something very green for my dish. They would make me something stuffed with vitamins, packed with flavor despite the lack of carbs, but something light so I could go do some yoga after lunch."

Debra of Eliot's Eats paired her Turning Over a New Leaf Salad with recently read non-fiction, What To Eat When. She says, "There is a bit of playfulness throughout the book. Again, the information here wasn’t revolutionary but it did cause me to re-plan menus. Besides just exercising our brains by jump-starting our neurons, the best food to eat is salmon, ocean trout, leafy greens, walnuts, coffee, olive oil, and blueberries. CUT OUT THE SUGAR!" This salad has several of those healthy ingredients.


Tina of Squirrel Head Manor shared a hearty Shepherd's Pie Stew and we are twins with the gnocchi. She says, "This gnocchi was found in the refrigerated section of the market.  Chop and measure your ingredients ahead of time and it's a quick meal to prepare.  This is the first time we have had a soupy/stew version of Shepherd's Pie. Usually we have beef or lamb or chicken with the massive amount of veggies and cover it all with mashed potatoes.

Shaheen of Allotment2Kitchen brought Spelt Beetroot Salad with Spinach and said, "Other than it being a dish to eat mindfully, by that I mean slowly because of the chewy nature of the grains, I actually quite enjoyed it. In fact I decided to make another recipe with grains the following week."  

Thank you to all who joined this week! 
 
About Souper Sundays:

Souper Sundays (going since 2008) now has a format of a picture link each week where anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches at any time during the week and I post a recap of the entries the following week.

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 
If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...


To join in this week's Souper Sunday's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:
  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you. Also please see below for what to do on your blog post that you link up her in order to be included in the weekly round-up.
and 

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and link back to this post. (Not to be a pain but it's polite and only fair to link back to events you link up at--so if you link a post up here without linking back to it on your post, it will be removed.)
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (optional).

 
Have a happy, healthy week!

2 comments:

  1. Your soup sounds wonderful. I love tomato soups and the addition of gnocchi and spinach puts it over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were indeed twins with our gnocchi additions to soup! This week I made a corn soup from Giada's recipes. Linking with IHCC too :-) I am already planning to use the leftover soup to make another one for next week.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)