Friday, February 23, 2018

Ina's Rosemary Roasted Cashews

Just a quick little Friday afternoon/evening snack that works as a party appetizer or just something simple but delicious to nosh on. From Ina Garten's Barefoot in Paris cookbook, Ina says that these nuts were inspired by the ones served at Union Square Cafe in New York City.


I ever so slightly adapted the recipe by using a chipotle-garlic seasoning blend I like in place of the cayenne and by reducing the salt. The book calls for 1 tablespoon kosher salt which is way too much. On Food Network, the recipe calls for 2 tsp, which is better but still a bit much for me, so I reduced it to 1 1/2 (scant) teaspoons sea salt. My changes are in red below.

Rosemary Roasted Cashews
Slightly Adapted from Barefoot in Paris
(Serves 8)

1 lb roasted, unsalted cashews
2 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I used a chipotle-garlic seasoning blend)
2 tsp light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (book says 2 Tbsp, Food Network says 2 tsp)
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Spread the cashews out on a sheet pan. Toast in the oven until warm--about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl combine the rosemary, cayenne, sugar, salt, and melted butter. Thoroughly toss the warm cashews with the spiced butter and serve warm. 


Notes/Results: These nuts make your house smell delicious with the toasty aroma combined with the scent of the rosemary and if possible, they taste even better than they smell. They have that great balance of savory, salty, spicy, herby and sweet. My only issue with them (beyond the amount of salt in the original recipe) is that I want to eat all of them. They would be great with a cocktail. I will happily make them again. 


Linking up to I Heart Cooking Clubs where our theme this week is Ina's Bistro!--Ina's French recipes. This recipe may not be particularity French but it's from her French cookbook so there you go!


I'm also sharing this post with the Weekend Cooking event at Beth Fish Reads, a weekly event that is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share. For more information, see the welcome post.

8 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I would eat that entire bowl. I like salty treats where my husband is a fan of sweet. I like sweet too but in moderation, so nuts, pretzels and chips are my downfall at home. If I make these I better have my son over so he can help me avoid temptation! Looks great, good party snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE spiced / herbed nuts. And like Tina, I'd find them hard to resist. These would be awesome with a day-drinking cocktail on the deck on a warm summer afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cashews in any form are irresistible — great suggestion.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound dangerous and addicting. Thanks for tempting us :D . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound delicious. These would be great for the holidays. (I don't know why I always associate spiced nuts with that season.). Like you, though, I think these would be great with a cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe has been on my to-do-list. I love cashews. Ina does tend to be heavy handed on her salt. I usually cut it in half and sometimes that is even too much. Glad that you liked these, I hope to get to them before her time is up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these look delicious, Deb! I love how the rosemary is clinging to the cashews - I would have to a terrible time putting these down and would have to make a very small batch.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)