Friday, August 18, 2017

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Very Lemony Hummus

It's a good feeling to whip up a batch of homemade hummus on a Friday afternoon to have available for munching with root chips and veggies or slathering on a veggie sandwich over the weekend. I have my standard hummus recipe but I am always looking to try variations like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Very Lemony Hummus from River Cottage Every Day.


Hugh says, "You might like to try this hummus in a sandwich with sliced tomatoes and a smear of harissa paste, or with grated carrot and a few torn mint leaves. If you are short of time, instead of cooking dried chickpeas, you can use a tin, well drained and rinsed; add a little water to them for the initial puréeing."

Very Lemony Hummus
River Cottage Every Day or at RiverCottage.com
(Serves 4-6)

2/3 cup dried chickpeas
1 bay leaf
Juice of 2 lemons
1 small garlic clove, crushed with a little salt
2-3 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
pinch of ground cumin (optional) (I added 1/2 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp smoked paprika to hummus)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Rinse the chickpeas thoroughly, then place them in a large bowl with enough water to cover them well. Leave to soak for at least 12 hours, or overnight.

Drain the chickpeas and put them in a saucepan with the bay leaf and enough cold water to cover generously. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down and partially cover with a lid. Simmer gently for about 3 hours, until the chickpeas are really soft, skimming the surface and topping up with boiling water as necessary to keep the chickpeas covered. Add ½ teaspoon of salt near the end of cooking.

Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid, and discard the bay leaf. Put 3-4 tablespoons of the hot cooking liquid into a food processor or blender with half the chickpeas, 4 tablespoons of the lemon juice and the garlic. Whiz for a few seconds. Add the remaining chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of tahini and 2 tablespoons of oil, then whiz again until you have the consistency you like.

Scrape into a bowl and season with salt and plenty of pepper. If you think it needs more oil, lemon juice or tahini, add a little at a time, beating well, until you're happy with the flavor. Top with a sprinkling of cumin, if you like.
 
Variation: Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, chervil or chives - or all three - to create a lovely, green-flecked purée.


Notes/Results: Although lemony isn't what I am usually going for when I make hummus, this was actually pretty balanced (you control the lemon and seasonings) and it tasted great--light and bright. I did put a bit of cumin and paprika into my hummus--which I think balanced the flavor even more. It is Friday and I was in a time crunch from a busy week so I used canned chickpeas in this hummus--actually boxed as I like Whole Foods 365 Brand no-salt added garbanzo beans and they are in a tetra-pack instead of a can. I think definitely cooking the beans from dry is best but in a pinch, they are a good substitute. My favorite snack is root veggie chips in hummus and so that's how I enjoyed it tonight--although I have a cucumber and red pepper and some naan bread I will probably dip into it over the weekend. I would happily make this hummus again.


Linking up to I Heart Cooking Clubs where the theme this week is Dippity Do Dah--dips and spreads from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

 
Happy Aloha Friday!
 

6 comments:

  1. Hummus, I like it, this is the classic way with chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had any hummus for ages! Serving it with the veggie chips sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! You know how I love hummus. This recipe reminds me of Ottolenghi's that has a lemony sauce on top. At first I was thinking lemon and hummus didn't sound right, but then I ended up really loving it. I love Hugh's suggestion of adding harrissa to hummus - that is something I need to try very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like making hummus, especially with dry chickpeas. There is something very pleasing and comforting in making hummus. The chips look addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband LOVES anything lemon. He puts it on everything including chicken soup! This hummus recipe is made for him!! Love the colorful chips in the presentation

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)