Friday, May 27, 2016

Tender Green Salad with Strawberries, Cucumber, Pistachios and Basil (Served with Salmon) to Welcome Summer

This salad has been on my mind since I came across it in The Washington Post a couple of weeks ago and pinned in to make once I had some ripe strawberries. It comes from Ellie Krieger and I love the simplicity of it, how pretty it looks on the plate, and the combination of some favorite ingredients--strawberries, buttery lettuce, cucumber, chopped pistachios, and fresh basil, all tossed with a light dressing. 


I served this salad alongside a piece of simply cooked wild King salmon (lightly seasoned with salt and black pepper and cooked in a bit of coconut oil). Together it made a perfect light and healthy dinner that welcomes summer. 


Tender Green Salad with Strawberries, Cucumber, Pistachios and Basil
Adapted slightly from Ellie Krieger via The Washington Post
(Serves 4)
 
2 Tbsp walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar (I used champagne vinegar)
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 head butter, Boston or bibb lettuce, leaves torn (about 5 cups, lightly packed) (I used local Manoa lettuce)
6 large or 12 small hulled strawberries, quartered if large, halved if small
1/4 English (seedless) cucumber, cut into thin half-moons
2 Tbsp shelled, unsalted pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped (see NOTE)
4 large or 8 medium fresh basil leaves, torn

Whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to form a dressing.

Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Drizzle in about half of the dressing, and toss to coat.

Divide the dressed lettuce among individual salad plates. Arrange the strawberries and cucumber slices on top, then drizzle with the remaining dressing. Top each portion with 1/2 tablespoon of pistachios and some basil.

(NOTE: Toast the pistachios in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat for a few minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned. Cool completely before using.)


Notes/Results: This may be my new favorite summer salad--each bite made me happy. The sweet strawberries, crisp cucumbers and the slightly sharp and herby basil work well with the mild lettuce, toasty pistachios and the slightly sweet dressing. So simple but so good! It also paired well with the salmon--they complimented each other without one overpowering the other in flavor. I think this salad would partner well with any simple fish, seafood, or lighter protein option. It's definitely a keeper recipe that I will make again. 


I am linking this delicious salad up to I Heart Cooking Clubs. It's Potluck week, where we can make any recipe by the current featured chef, Curtis Stone, or any of the previous IHCC chefs like Ellie Krieger. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.

 
I am also linking it to this week's Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays post here at Kahakai Kitchen. If you have a soup, salad or sandwich to share you can join in by linking your post up. Here's this week's picture linkup--details are on the post.


 Happy Aloha Friday and have a happy and healthy Memorial Day weekend!

24 comments:

  1. I can see why this would be your favorite. Such a nice combination of ingredients! But you are in Hawaii -- couldn't you use a locally caught fish?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mae, I could and I do eat locally caught fish a couple times a week, but being raised in the northwest eating salmon and being a salmon lover for its taste and health benefits, it's what I was most craving with this salad. I always have some wild salmon in my freezer alongside the mahi mahi, opah, monchong and other local fish. Do you eat only locally grown foods/protein? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Perfect combination for a nice light meal. I love the salad ingredients, things not ordinarily put together, though have been going more with macadamia nut oil for my dressings lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac nut oil would be a great choice for this dressing Claudia. I only had the garlic version on hand though which I thought would overpower so I used walnut oil instead. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Good combo and that should star as the Souper Sunday salad of the week! I love salmon but they sell so much of the farm raised sort in the grocery stores. That can't be healthy. Our seafood market has the wild caught salmon now and again, love that.

    Because presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina--it was tasty. I feel the same way about wild salmon--when I find it (and especially when I find it on sale) I buy it and stock it in my freezer. It's a splurge but so worth it. ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a delicious combination of ingredients and so pretty on the plate. I particularly like the use of flavourful walnut oil in the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Zosia! I bought a bottle/tin of it a couple of months ago and I love using it in salad dressings. ;-)

      Delete
  5. The amazing color explosion with the brightly red strawberries and crisp local lettuce, ideal for clean and healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I love that it tastes as good as it looks! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely presentation and delightful combination of flavors. Perfect for the start of strawberry season here in Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee! This is definitely one to tag for strawberry season. ;-)

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious. Healthy, bright in colour and full of fresh spring flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esme! So good and so much color on the plate for sure. ;-)

      Delete
  8. A light and healthy meal, and sounds delicious served with the salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom and I have been craving fresh summer salads such as this for weeks now, especially anything with cucumber! This is a fun combination and certainly looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you both would love this one Kim--the strawberry and cucumber combo is so good! ;-)

      Delete
  10. It not only looks pretty but delicious too. I will have to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of combinating fruit and veggies. A refreshing summer salad

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking salad. It looks so refreshing and colorful.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)