Sunday, January 4, 2015

Smoky Black-Eyed Pea and Greens Soup for a Lucky 2015 and Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays

Every year I tell myself I will make black-eyed pea soup with collards to start the new year with good luck and every year I seem to forget. This year I bought my black-eyed peas early planning on a big pot of hearty soup for New Years day. 


When I went to grab some collard greens there was one very beat up and old looking bunch and two tired-looking bags of pre-cut collards. The bunches of fresh local kale on the other hand looked fresh and vibrant, so that is what I ended up buying. To get a good rich smoky flavor without using smoked meat, I used cumin and smoked paprika, then stirred in some liquid smoke towards the end of the cooking time. The Parmesan is optional but adds a nice touch. Here's to a 2015 full of luck and good fortune!


Smoky Black-Eyed Pea and Greens Soup
By Deb, Kahakai Kitchen
(Serves 6)

2 cups dried black-eyed peas 

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped 
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tsp smoky paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I used a combo of Parm broth & veggie stock) + more as needed
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs thyme
1 large bunch greens, (collard or kale) tough center stems & ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced

1 can (15 oz) diced, fire roasted tomatoes-with liquid
2 tsp liquid smoke
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese to top if desired

Pick through dried peas to remove any debris, rinse and soak overnight in cold water. 

Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. When hot, add onion, carrot and celery and cook about 5-6 minutes until onions are translucent. Add garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne and cook for another minute or two, until spices are fragrant.

Add veggie broth, bay leaf, thyme, and soaked beans. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until beans are very tender, adding more water or broth if necessary.

Remove stems from thyme sprigs. Stir in chopped greens, diced tomatoes and liquid smoke. Cook 15-20 minutes more, until the greens are tender and flavors are blended. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, and adjust consistency with additional vegetable stock or water if needed. The soup should be thick but still brothy. 

To serve, top with grated Parmesan and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.


Notes/Results: A big beany and brothy bowl of healthy soup. Simple and homey and great flavor. The broth is smoky with just a light touch of heat from the cayenne and the beans and veggies are tender but not mushy. There is enough protein and fiber to make this soup satisfying on its own but it could also be served with a scoop of brown rice or some crusty bread to sop up the savory broth. I'll let you know if the good fortune follows but it is certainly a healthy way to kick off a new year. I would make it again.



Let's check out the Souper Sundays kitchen where some good friends and tasty dishes await.


Janet of The Taste Space brings Miso Hemp Split Pea Soup this week and says, "I really like yellow split peas but I knew my stash was old… and I don’t like finicky beans that just won’t cook. Pressure cooker to the rescue!  ...let’s just say the pressure cooker pulverized my split peas. The extra liquid sopped it up nicely. No immersion blender needed for such a silky soup. Even without a pressure cooker, this soup would be easy to make. And highly recommended, too. The miso adds a nice umami and the hemp seeds added a bit more texture which was lost with the split pea explosion. I added a garnish of crushed walnuts, too."



Heather of girlichef says, "This year I had grand plans for soup containing leftover holiday turkey—and found myself sorely lacking in the leftover department. I even plan for leftovers, but the turkey must have been particularly good this year, because a few day-after sandwiches were all that we could make from what was left. But hey, there's no rule that says I can't make turkey soup and start with uncooked turkey now, is there? Apparently there's not, because this Turkey and Wild Rice Soup wound up being the best soup I've made in a long time. Every single person in the family loved it, and if I'm being honest, there's usually at least one person who just shrugs and says "meh, soup". Not the case this time. I'm already being asked when I'm making another pot."



Pam of Sidewalk Shoes shares Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup with Bacon Croutons and says, "Remember the croutons, I showed you last week, Homemade Croutons?  Well, here is another fabulous use for croutons!  You can either use the all ready toasted croutons, or just used cubed bread, either way works!  I don’t know about you, but sometimes I crave potato soup.  It’s such a humble soup, and yet it the ultimate comfort food.  It doesn’t have a lot going on, and yet it doesn’t need a lot.  Except, I did find a way to elevate it, while still keeping it humble – bacon croutons!"



Thanks to Pam, Heather, and Janet for joining in this week. If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share and have featured on A Souper Sundays post, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on the sidebar for all of the details.

Have a happy, healthy week!

 

9 comments:

  1. everything looks perfect for our weather! happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collards...kale...how different are they really, in the scheme of things? Hope this soup brings you all the luck in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think I would probably like kale even better than collards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too Pam! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the health benefits of either make them lucky Joanne! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alicia! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here too Kat! Hah! ;-)
    Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Heather! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)