Friday, June 20, 2014

Sesame Seed Salmon with Mirin


A quick and easy little salmon recipe from Nigel Slater, perfect for a busy night. I was going to make a salad but then decided to saute the remains of a bag of baby spinach with garlic and sesame seeds and add a few sweet baby tomatoes. Simple and satisfying. 


Nigel says, "A deliciously simple way to cook a salmon fillet - sweetened with rice wine and sesame then pan-fried."

Sesame Seed Salmon with Mirin
Adapted from Nigel Slater via BBC Food
(Serves 1)

1 portioned salmon fillet, skin on
4 Tbsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 Tbsp groundnut oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
50g (1.75 oz) sesame seeds
(I added a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime)

Marinate the salmon in a bowl with the mirin, groundnut and sesame oils for 30 minutes.

Fill a plate with sesame seeds and place the salmon flesh-side down to cover evenly.

Pan-fry the salmon for six minutes skin-side down and then turn for three final minutes of cooking.

Notes/Results: The salmon had good sesame flavor with a hint of sweetness from the mirin. I felt like it needed just a pinch of salt to bring out the full flavor and I also squeezed a lime wedge (I was out of lemon) over the top for a hint of brightness.  The salmon turned out really moist and tender, always a plus. Besides the time for marinating, this dish takes just a short time to make--nice when you don't have the time or inclination to fuss. With the sauteed spinach and tomatoes, it made for a great light dinner. I will make it again.  


It's Potluck this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs--our time to make any Nigel Slater dish or a dish from any former IHCC chef. You can see what everyone made for Potluck by checking out the picture links on the post.  

Happy Aloha Friday!
 

11 comments:

  1. Love how low maintenance this recipe is! Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy, lovely meal. I could eat fish several times a week. Love this choice for the cooking club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Once again, you've got a winning recipe! This IS a wonderfully simple and elegant -looking too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum I love salmon. nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Japanese flavours go so well with salmon and I love your addition of lime juice and tomatoes to balance the sweetness. It looks like a perfect meal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely meal! Great idea with the added sesame seeds! Using lime adds another wonderful fragrance instead of the usual lemons! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmh,salmon and sesame seeds plus spinach, that sounds devine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couscous & ConsciousnessJune 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM

    I love salmon about as much as you do, Deb, and this looks like the perfectly simple salmon dish for the end of a busy work day - I'm thinking this is going to be dinner tomorrow night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. I do love a good, and easy, salmon dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. where's the recipe for the spinach and baby tomato? Did you just sautee in olive oil, salt, and sesame seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No recipe--I just heated a little olive oil (and a just a bit of sesame oil probably) in a pan, put the spinach in and cooked it until wilted. Then I sprinkled it with sesame seeds and a bit of salt and put in the halved tomatoes. You could also add the tomatoes to the spinach mixture and warm/soften them up as the spinach cooks if you want. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)