Sunday, April 6, 2014

Tortilla Soup from "Real Food Daily's": It's What I'm Craving for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays


I was all set to make the Creamy Broccoli Soup with Red Pepper Crème from The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian. Then, when doing a final check of the ingredients for my shopping list, the Tortilla Soup caught my eye. The heart and stomach want what the heart and stomach want and mine wanted tortilla soup. The broccoli soup will wait. ;-) I've made a half-dozen tortilla soups on the blog. This one is thick and flavorful and quite tasty topped with thin fried tortilla chips, chunks of avocado, thinly-sliced radish and cilantro.  


Ann Gentry says, "There are two basic types of tortilla soup: one is brothy, and the other is a heartier soup thickened with corn tortillas. I really love love the second kind. Many of the folks working in my kitchens bragged about their hometown or family versions, so I set up a little contest to come up with the best tortilla soup. This hearty version came out the big winner. If you like a thinner soup, use fewer tortillas. And if you'd like to make this soup less spicy, cut away the veins and seeds from the jalapeño chile.


Tortilla Soup
The Real Food Daily Cookbook by Ann Gentry
(Makes 6 to 8 Servings)

1 Tbsp canola oil
2 onions, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
2 Tbsp tamari
2 tsp ground cumin (I used double)
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried oregano (I used double)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 cups vegetable stock or water
1 lb tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used canned fire-roasted)
1/3 cup tomato paste
8 corm tortillas, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
crispy tortilla strips & avocado to garnish (+ fresh lime wedges & sliced radish)

Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the jalapeño chile, tamari, cumin, salt, oregano, and pepper and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in stock, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Decrease heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender. Add the tortillas and simmer 10 minutes longer, or until the tortillas are falling apart. 

Using a handheld immersion blender, blend the soup in the pot until smooth. Alternatively, working in batches puree in a regular blender. Stir in the cilantro.

Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with tortilla strips and avocado and serve with a lime wedge or too.
 
Note: The soup will keep for 2 days, covered and refrigerated.
 

Notes/Results: Thick and satisfying with plenty of flavor and a subtle kick from the jalapeño. I did add extra amounts of cumin and oregano, and since the local fresh tomatoes were not looking particularly red and perky this week, I used canned fire-roasted tomatoes. Besides the usual avocado and tortilla strips, I used some leftover radishes, thinly-sliced for crunch. I also prefer a bit of lime juice to brighten things up. If you didn't care if the soup is vegan, some crumbled Mexican cheese is always nice too. I would make this again. 


Soups and a salad await in the Souper Sundays kitchen, let's take a look.


Mireille of Chef Mireille's East West Realm is here with Pork & Lamb Thupka. She says, "Thupka is a dish of eastern Nepalese origin that is very popular throughout Nepal and Tibet. Additionally, it has become popular in Bhutan and the Indian states of Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh along the Chinese border as well as the Ladakh region of Kashmir. It's basically a noodle soup. Although vegetarian and chicken versions exist, it is most often made with yak, lamb, beef or pork. The varieties are endless as it can be made with any variety of vegetables and meat.



Pam of Sidewalk Shoes says, "So, is it spring by your house?  Even though I stubbornly changed out my winter clothes and replaced them with spring and summer clothes, and attempted to wear them, Mother Nature did not cooperate. Which means, it’s still soup weather. I still have a zillion pounds of beans from year of beans from Rancho Gordo, so I knew I wanted something with beans. When I found Sausage and White Bean Chili from Fine Cooking, it sounded like a winner and it was!  It had the flavors of sausage and white beans which I love and then gave it the whole chili flare. I finally found some of the queso fresco cheese that I’ve been looking for. What an interesting cheese. I love how it doesn’t melt. It adds a nice creaminess to this soup."



Tigerfish of Teczcape - An Escape to Food made a dairy-free Creamy Miso Butternut Squash Soup using soft tofu and red miso. She says, "Sometimes, a dish can be "discovered" in unexpected ways: when the fridge is almost cleared of perishables such as milk and leafy greens before going on a short vacation; then just after you have returned and have not even get the time to stock up on some fresh produce/groceries to replenish the fridge, you suddenly realized you need to start cooking!"



Tina of Squirrel Head Manor brings hearty White Bean and Ham Soup and says, "Let us say goodbye and good riddance to the cold and dreary days of winter. It's finally Spring weather and yes, I know my buddies in the southern hemisphere are having different weather conditions, but here...I am celebrating the last of the chilly weather with a hearty soup. I surely won't have this one once it's hot and humid. Inspiration is from my friend in Carlucet France who, along with her lovely daughter, sent me a French care package."



And one hearty salad from Janet of The Taste Space, this pretty, healthy and green, almond-topped Asparagus and Edamame Salad with Lime-Miso Dressing. Janet says, "I crafted a fun twist with spring’s new bounty of asparagus. I paired it with edamame for some additional protein and toasted almonds for crunch and drizzled it with a miso-lime vinaigrette."
 

Thanks to everyone who joined in this week. If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo for all of the details.

Have a happy, healthy week!  
 

4 comments:

  1. www.teczcape.blogspot.comApril 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM

    The fresh radish on the tortilla soup is a nice crisp touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're craving tortilla soup you should have tortilla soup! Amen to that. This looks so delicious! It's a little chilly here this AM and I could use a warm bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you gotta give in to the cravings sometimes! I love your roundup and thank you for having me as a guest.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)