Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Kabocha Squash Ice Cream (Vegan, Non-Dairy) {#12WksWinterSquash}

What better way to end 12 weeks of cooking with winter squash than to go out with dessert?! In this case, it's a healthy one--a dairy-free, vegan Kabocha Squash Ice Cream from "The Fresh Energy Cookbook: Detox Recipes to Supercharge Your Life" by Natalia Rose and Doris Choi. 

I am not normally a squash sweet/dessert kind of person, a lot due to my complete aversion to the pumpkin pie spice that usually accompanies it--but, I was intrigued by this ice cream and decided to leave out the pumpkin pie spice and make a maple-cinnamon version. My changes to the recipe are in red below. 

This ice cream is a nutritional powerhouse of vitamins A & C, B6, fiber, manganese and other vitamins and minerals and so f anyone tells you that you have to eat your veggies before you eat dessert, you can tell them you are doing it at the same time. ;-)

Kabocha Squash Ice Cream
Adapted From "The Fresh Energy Cookbook" by Natalia Rose & Doris Choi
(Makes 1 quart)

2 cups coconut milk, chilled
2 cups kabocha squash puree
3/4 cup agave nectar or stevia (I subbed in 1/2 cup maple syrup)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp maple extract (omitted)
2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice (I used 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon)
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender, then process through an ice cream maker. Can serve topped with dark chocolate  sauce if desired. (Note: I combined my cooked kabocha and all other ingredients in the blender and pureed until smooth, then chilled overnight in fridge before processing in ice cream maker.)

Notes/Results: Super-creamy, sweet and full of good cinnamon-maple flavor. I think the change to maple syrup in place of agave or stevia, and using a lesser amount was a good idea as it allowed the kabocha and cinnamon to come through. Very rich and satisfying and worth making again--maybe with some chai spices for a fun variation. 

Yikes! It's been 12 weeks! This is my last and final dish for the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash Event hosted by my friends Heather and Joanne. :-( Feel free to link up your winter squash dishes during the week at the linky below or on any one of the other participating blogs.    



  1. Amy (Savory Moments)January 22, 2014 at 1:44 AM

    I've been meaning to make a coconut milk + kobocha squash ice cream (similar to the Thai dessert, but in ice cream form) -- this looks great!! I love the color and I bet the flavor is outstanding! Nice job!

  2. This makes me pretty happy. I love eating my veggies as dessert...but especially winter squash!

  3. Love the idea of adding chai spices to this. What a fun dessert :)


Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)