Saturday, February 2, 2013

Announcing February's Food 'N Flix Selection: Today's Special

It's hard to believe that my last time hosting Food 'n Flix was one year ago! It has finally come around to me again. ;-) This round I am pulling out a cute independent film full of food, family and fun, with plenty of exotic Indian flavor.


Today's Special is a 2009 film about Samir (Aasif Mandvi), who toils as sous chef at a fancy New York restaurant. Watching others get promoted to chef over him and annoyed at his boss, Samir quits and makes plans to go to France to live his dream and study French Cooking. Fate steps in and Samir's father, with whom he has a rocky relationship, has a heart attack and Samir finds himself bowing to responsibility and taking over Tandoori Palace, the family restaurant. Samir has made it a point not to cook Indian food so it isn't until he meets former gourmet Indian chef and current cab driver Akbar, that things begin to fall into place. 


There's lots to love and take inspiration from in this little film--romance, famed Indian chef Madhur Jaffrey playing Samir's mother, some quirky characters in and out of the kitchen, and tons of mouthwatering food. 



Want to join in the Food 'n Flix fun? Here's how to participate:
  1. Watch the chosen film (Today's Special). Taking inspiration from the film, head into the kitchen and cook or bake or make something.

  2. Post about it on your blog with a link back to THIS post and a link to Food 'n Flix. Use of the Food 'N Flix logo is optional.
  3. Your post must be current (during month of film). And of course we don't mind if your post is linked to other events...the more the merrier!
  4. Have fun with it!
  5. Email your entries to me at: debinhawaii@gmail.com and include:

  • Your name
  • Your blog's name and URL
  • The name of your dish and the permalink to the specific post you're submitting
  • Attach a photo of any size (or tell me which one to "pull" from your post)
  • Indicate "Food 'n Flix Submission" in the subject line

Deadline for submission is Tuesday February 26, and I'll be rounding up all the entries here by February 28.


Happy viewing and cooking!
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you picked this flick, Deb - I thought it was so much fun. Can't wait to get into the kitchen and cook something inspired. Thanks again for hosting this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun event I tried to watch this movie once couldn't get into it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie, it was good! I will have a post ready to share with you by late today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am glad you liked it. I just re-watched this weekend and am making my dish tonight. ;-) (Under the wire as usual--even when I'm hosting!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just happened to watch the movie this month, and found Food 'n Flix, what a fun idea. Without much time on my side, I whipped up a post for the film, hope to join you for more!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)