Friday, October 26, 2012

Pale Green, Spicy, Minty Lassi: Creamy, Cool Yogurt Refreshment

Lack of trade winds this week and the resulting humidity make something cold and refreshing very welcome. I am more familiar with a sweet lassi, the Indian yogurt drink. My favorite is made with fresh mango and a little cardamom. This Pale Green, Spicy, Minty Lassi from Madhur Jaffrey is definitely different. The heat of the chili is prominent but cooled down by the yogurt and mint and the cumin, ginger and cilantro add layers of flavor. 


Jaffrey says, "I cannot think of anything more refreshing for a hot summer day."

Pale Green, Spicy, Minty Lassi (Hari Lassi)
From Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking 
(Serves 2)

1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
25 large mint leaves or 30 smaller ones
1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1/2 fresh hot green chile (use the upper half for more heat, the lower for less)
1/3 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds (optional)
8 ice cubes

Combine all the ingredients in an electric blender and blend until smooth. Some ice pieces may remain. Pour into 2 glasses and serve.


Notes/Results: Very refreshing. I followed the recipe as written--using thick Greek yogurt so I had to add a little water to get it blended to the right consistency. To make it vegan, you could use a coconut yogurt of course. I like the pale green color and the combination of the tangy, spicy and minty elements. I would make it again.


Everything is Better with Yogurt is the theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week where we are currently cooking with Madhur Jaffrey.

Happy Aloha Friday!
 

7 comments:

  1. This looks so refreshing and cool! It is 33 degrees right now, and this would be most welcome! Cilantro and mint, who would have thought! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the whole foods in the city cells avocado chile lassis...SO GOOD. Shockingly for something that isn't conventionally sweet. I'm betting the same goes for these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I love the idea of mint with a hot pepper. This has so many great flavors going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Light green even looks refreshing. Love lassis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I'll trade you some of your humidity for our cold rain and wind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couscous & ConsciousnessNovember 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

    This looks so pretty & refreshing, and the combination of flavours is intriguing. I'm definitely more used to a sweet version, like mango, but very keen to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I am also a big fan of the sweet mango lassi, and had never thought to try a spicy variation. I will definitely have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)