Friday, March 11, 2011

Giada's Melon and Mint Slush: Cool & Minty Refreshment

First off thank you to everyone who tweeted, Facebook messaged, emailed, commented, etc. about my (and Max's) safety and well-being during and after the tsunami warning. Having spent a long, sleepless and pretty scary night, (my house is just on the other side of the published evacuation area line), it meant so much to me to get all of your inquiries and well-wishes. I felt all the love and I return it with all my heart. Overall Hawaii was lucky--there was damage to some homes, businesses and property along the waterfronts and nearby low-lying areas from the surges and flooding, particularly on The Big Island and Maui, with some on Oahu too, but no lives were lost and for that we are very thankful. Please keep your thoughts and prayers on the people of Japan right now--they so need it, and if you can, please consider donating to the Red Cross or other organizations lending aid. Every little bit can help.


After last night, I should have probably put some alcohol into Giada's refreshing Melon and Mint Slush to calm my nerves! ;-) I chose this simple recipe for our final potluck with Giada at I Heart Cooking Clubs because I had some leftover Honeydew melon and mint to use and it is one of my favorite combinations. This is a quick and easy drink that I just made one change to. It calls for 1/2 cup sugar which I felt with the sweetness of the melon and the ginger ale, was not at all needed so I left it out completely and was perfectly happy with the result.

You can find the recipe at the Food Network here.

Melon & Mint Slush
Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
(Serves 4)

1/4 (about 1 lb) honeydew melon, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
3 cups crushed ice
1/2 packed cup fresh mint leaves
1 1/2 cups ginger ale
1/2 cup sugar

Add the melon, ice, mint, ginger ale, and sugar to a blender. Pulse until the mixture becomes slushy. Pour into 4 glasses and serve immediately.



Notes/Results: A delicious drink to welcome spring--I love how cooling and calming the pairing of melon and mint is. This is a very refreshing drink--whether plain, or if some rum or vodka just happened to "fall" into it. ;-) I am going to get on my anti-added processed sugar soapbox and say that it is a shame that we so often feel a need to add extra sugar to beverage recipes. I think that 1/2 cup of extra sugar in this would have made it much too sweet and would have masked the flavor of the melon--which comes through so nicely--and who needs those extra calories anyway?! (OK, climbing down from soap box now--thanks for listening!) This slush would also be great with watermelon or cantaloupe. I would make it again.

Sadly this is our last Potluck with Giada at IHCC and we switch to a new chef in two weeks. You can check out what the other IHCC peeps made for their potluck dishes by going to the post here and following the links.

Happy Weekend!

18 comments:

  1. glad to hear you two were safe and didn't need to evacuate. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It Must have been a verry scary and nerve breaking day for you, yesterday. Happy to hear that you are ok, and nobody else was harmed at hawai.

    Your drink sounds really great! When melons are in season again(that will be soon:))i'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're okay Deb! You were the first person i thought of when I heard about the whole thing! I can't even imagine what it must have been like!

    I think you deserve quite a few of these SMOTHERED in alcohol after what you've been through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, really happy to know that u r safe, even I am nt fully out from the teror os chain earthquakes and tsunami here, Still my head is reeling around, feared my life for a moment!
    This drink is truly refreshing n healthy!
    Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you were safe.

    Still praying for all those affected.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really very refreshing and very simple too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really very refreshing and very simple too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking of you yesterday and hoping that you were on high ground. Glad to hear all is well.

    Thoughts and prayers going out to the people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO HAPPY that everything is okay in Hawaii and also on the west coast. On the other hand, it is almost too hard to watch the total devastation in Japan. We should all be donating.

    This melon and mint slush sounds ultimately rewarding and refreshing. I've always wanted to make this recipe and also her basil smoothie. Can't wait to get my herb garden going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are all so happy for you!
    The drink would be perfect for a hot
    Indian Summer!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad all is well with you! I can't imagine how scary it is. I think spiking your delicious and refreshing slushees are exactly what is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear that you and your family are okay!

    Cheers,
    Kim @ Incandescent Blue Flame

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have been thinking of you and I am glad to hear you are safe and sound. Such tragedy. It is so hard to accept.

    I think you should drink a few of these delicious slushes with a shot of whiskey in each.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad everything is OK. We did have to evacuate but did not have any damage when he returned thanks goodness. The first things I grabbed were photos and our passports, and put them in my car. I made a donation to the Red Cross as they were collecting at the Farmers' Market this morning. My heart goes out to everyone in Japan.

    This drink looks wonderfully refreshing, and I just got some beautiful mint this morning at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad to hear that you are doing well after such a frightening experience! Since you mentioned that some damage took place on Maui, I will call the hotel in Kaanapali where we will be staying in less than 2 months, on what may have happened on their property. Yes, this drink was probably what you needed! I would have been knee deep in some intoxicating beverage for sure! Lovely colors and I'm sure the flavors were refreshing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you made it through okay. I'm sure it had to be very scary.

    I'm so ready for a drink like this and the weather that calls for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb, I'm glad you are ok.

    I had this slush on my list to try, but never got around to it. Still waiting on quality melons!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you guys are okay, I know how Max hates to be evacuated.
    Lovely drink - so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)