Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Little Taste of Christmas...Mom's Fantasy Fudge

It just wouldn't seem like Christmas without my Mom's Fantasy Fudge, the best part of the holiday goodie plate as far as I am concerned. I call it my Mom's Fantasy Fudge because even though the recipe came from the jar of Kraft Marshmallow Creme decades ago, my Mom's version, made with half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate chips is creamier and just better. If you read this blog regularly you may remember that I posted it in February here, (because I missed being in Portland for Christmas last year), but her fudge so good, it deserves an encore posting for the holidays.


And of course it also would not be Christmas without the appearance of "Orville" the good-luck Christmas troll given to my parents by my Swedish grandmother the Christmas before I was born. Family legend is that Orville (named by my Dad), was placed above my parents bed on the bookcase headboard. Supposedly the good luck was that my Mom got pregnant with me and I was born the following October. My parents also insisted that when I was first born I resembled Orville, (no wonder I have self esteem issues today--my parents thought I looked like a troll!) ;-) Orville comes out with all the Christmas decorations each year at my Mom's. He has had a wardrobe change since his original outfit wore out and my Mom had to sew him a new felt troll suit modeled after the first. Orville is a little worn around the edges after all these years but he still retains his charm. It's being together with family and favorite little traditions that make Christmas so special to me.

Fantasy Fudge (My Mom's Version)
Adapted from Kraft Foods
(Makes 3 lbs)

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup margarine
1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
1 pkg. (12 oz) semisweet chocolate pieces (6 oz semisweet and 6 oz milk chocolate pieces)
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1 cup chopped nuts (optional--I prefer without)
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. (Mom melts her margarine first, then adds the sugar, salt and milk before bringing it to a boil). Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.

Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts (if using), and vanilla. Beat until well blended. (I like my fudge creamy so no nuts in mine!) Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan. Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares and enjoy!



Notes/Results: Delicious and worth a little holiday splurge!

Have a wonderful Christmas tomorrow enjoying all of your favorite traditions and holiday fun.

Mele Kalikimaka & Much Aloha!

13 comments:

  1. what a great post! happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I have captured the recipe. Ask mom if butter will work. I'll wait..
    :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family sounds adorable! The fudge looks amazing and that troll is too cute (I always loved those little charm troll things when I was a kid...the ones with a different "gem" in their belly buttons). Family traditions are definitely the things that stick with you. Merry Christmas Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Orville! Great post. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't make me choose between the story of Orville and your mom's Fudge. Each is as delightful as the other. Thank you so much for sharing, Deb. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

    P.S. Is it true there's a shortage of Christmas Trees in Hawaii???

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a cute family! This fudge looks fab! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was my mom's favorite fudge too! She made it at Christmas for as long as I can remember, and gave it away to everyone. I helped her make it the last few years she was alive, because it was hard for her to stir. Brings back fond memories. Merry Christmas and Mahalo for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the story about Orville! And, I love fudge! Have a wonderful Christmas with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Everyone and thanks for all of the holiday greetings.

    Natashya--my Mom said butter should work--she has just always used margarine--a product of her times. ;-)

    Louise--there was actually a shortage of trees but I heard more came in at the last minute. It is hard to get them successfully through the Agriculture inspections there!

    Villager--glad it is a favorite in your family too.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Deb and happy hols...
    Oh this fudge looks perfect if i could replace marshmellow creame for marshmellows...i think it'll work really.....
    Thanx a ton for sharing this lovely recipe....
    feliz natal....

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun family tradition!! Hope your holidays are great, Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom has a tweaked family recipe from the Marshmellow creme jar too. She uses half the amount of semi-sweet chocolate and adds walnuts.

    Orville is so cute...in a trollish way of course. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)