Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mint-Infused Hot Chocolate from Clean Living Magazine

Still looking for ways to satisfy my chocolate cravings but in a low fat, healthier way, I found this recipe for a low-fat, non-dairy Mint-Infused Hot Chocolate in the Jan/Feb issue of Clean Eating magazine and had all the ingredients on hand to try it on one of our cooler, windier evenings this week.  

Clean Eating says: "Try whipping up this low-fat, non-dairy hot chocolate when you're in the mood for something rich and chocolaty...without all the calories. Sip it by a warm fire or pour yourself a mug after dinner for a light, but comforting, liquid dessert."

Mint-Infused Hot Chocolate
Clean Eating Magazine, Jan/Feb 2009
(Serves 1)

1 mint green tea bag (decaf or regular)
1/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp light or amber organic agave nectar
Sprigs of mint, for garnish (optional)

Place tea bag in a cup. Pour water over it to make tea essence, letting steep for about 2 minutes.  Squeeze tea bag and remove from cup.  Meanwhile, heat almond milk over medium heat in a small saucepan until very hot, but not boiling. Add to the tea essence, then stir in cocoa powder and agave nectar.  Mix with a spoon until all the cocoa powder has dissolved. Garnish with a sprig of mint, if desired.

Nutrients per cup:  Calories: 98, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 19.5g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 16g, Protein 1.5g, Sodium 136mg, Cholesterol: 0mg.

Recipe Note: "For a nice variation, use an almond flavored tea in lieu of the mint green tea to make Chocolate-Almond Hot Cocoa."  

Notes/Results:  Very good! It hit the spot and was a pretty guiltless after dinner treat. I did add a bit more cocoa powder to mine and a little less agave for more of a dense chocolate taste. I happened to have almond milk on hand as I like it in my smoothies, but you could also use rice or soy milk too and a different sweetener if you don't have agave. Served in one of my favorite Japanese tea cups (more special than a mug!), this was a comforting, chocolaty drink, with a refreshing taste of mint and it had more richness and flavor than I thought it might. With their Lemon-Artichoke Chicken and Chocolate Cookies already being "keeper" recipes, Clean Living is now three for three for me this month. 


Natashya said...

Almond milk and agave nectar on hand! You are a gourmet foodie for sure!
Looks very soothing - I do love mint tea and get hot chocolate cravings when I am... shovelling!
(right now the wind is throwing the snow back at me when I try to fling it on the pile now almost as tall as me...)
Sounds like a winner indeed, and I love the cup! (must get me some cool Asian mugs..)

Laurie said...

A tea cup IS more special than a mug! The chocolate looks so comforting and yummy.

Your tuna burger looks SO delicious. I'm jealous of your fresh local ingredients. The only local food I can find now is snow to boil for tea. JK.

We haven't eaten nearly as well as you this week - or as healthy.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Deb, as a chocoholic, I must say this looks and sounds very tempting. Quite appropriate for me right now since I'm determined to loose a couple of pounds. I've never used agave nectar. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

K and S said...

ooh something to use agave, though I don't have almond milk, I wonder if soy or skim milk can be substituted?

Abigail said...

Looks really tasty and in a beautiful cup, too!

nutritiontokitchen said...

Man, I was at Down to Earth today and should have grabbed me some agave nectar.

Cheers to you! Aren't you glad it's not raining for a weekend? :)

Tram (nutritiontokitchen)

Suzie said...

What an impressive treat! Something nice for when it cools down - and I have a soup for you this week too.

Debinhawaii said...

Natashya--after all that shoveling you need two cups!

Laurie--i don't know...your mini Reuben Skiders looked really good to me!

Teresa--Agave is a great natural sweentener, I hope you like it.

Kat--I made it again with some soy milk and it worked great that way too.


Tram--yes! a nice, sunny weekend has been long overdue!

Suzie--yeah! I'll add you to the round up!

Reeni♥ said...

What a genius idea!! A mint teabag!! Looks yummy!

Alisa said...

I was just thinking of making mint cocoa tonight with some cocoa, and just happened to stumble on your blog. I even use almond milk too. Funny coincidence!