Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Grilled Brioche "S'mores"


When life gives you marshmallows, or marshmallow cream or you make your own marshmallows, you should definitely make these! After catching them on an episode of the Food Network show, Rescue Chef, and wondering what to do with my leftover marshmallows (a girl can drink only so much hot chocolate), I thought Danny Boome's Grilled Brioche "Smores" were a great way to go.

On a mini-croissant, with bittersweet chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt, these are not your Mama's S'mores. The wonderful combo of chocolate and salt, is equally good with some fluffy melted marshmallow--it cuts the sweetness a bit and takes it to a whole new level. You can make them on the grill, as Danny did on the show, or use a grill pan on the stove, or eventually get lazy like me and pop it in the microwave.   (You can find the recipe and learn about the show on Food Network, here)


Grilled Brioche "Smores"
Rescue Chef, Danny Boome
Serves 4

4 mini croissants, sliced in 1/2
1/2 cup marshmallow cream
4 thin squares good-quality bittersweet chocolate
Coarse sea salt

Over a heated, medium-low grill, toast the croissants for 1 minute. Remove from the grill and spread 2 tablespoons marshmallow cream and 1 chocolate square onto each croissant. Sprinkle with coarse salt and place the top slice of the croissant back to make a sandwich. Place the toasts back on the grill. Close the grill cover and allow the chocolate to melt, about 30 to 45 seconds.  Remove the toasts from the grill and serve warm.


This is a quick post. I am crazy busy trying to finalize some work things and preparing for my good friend Yoko to visit me from Japan. She is a world traveler, a foodie, a coffee and wine connoisseur and a whole lot of fun to hang out with so I hope to have some adventures to share with all of you as we cook and eat out way through the island this week.

11 comments:

  1. mmm looks delicious. have fun, can't wait to see where you guys go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are they called "Brioche S'mores" when they are clearly using croissants, not Brioche?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is the height of decadence! What kind of wine to you pair with that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that chocolate and salt is a "can't miss" combo. These look great! I hope that you have a blast with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aye caramba! Chocolate, marshmallows and croissants! I'm faint.

    Can't wait to see what foodie adventures you will have with Yoko!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, first time here and I am loving this brioche! Why did I not think of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat--thanks they are yummy!

    Beach Bum--great question--I have no idea there was no explanation of it--maybe he thought it sounded better?! ;-)

    Natashya--does it matter?! ;-)

    Cathy--chocolate and salt is my downfall!

    Rachel--one of these will revive you!

    Nazarina--thanks for stopping by. The recipe is simple genius I think! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing - I have never tried smores - something for my 2009 to do list. I posted my Cook The Books piece today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh .........

    I can't think of any other words, it looks that good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I confess...I've never tried sea salt on anything sweet. I love s'mores and croissants and chocolate, not necessarily in that order. I will have to make these this weekend. There is no place local that makes really good croissant, but I'll pick some up at the supermarket. Yummy, no matter what the bread is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzie--never tried S'mores?! You must put them on your list! Glad you did Cook the Books too. ;-)

    Megan--it is!! Definitely worth an "Oh!" ;-)

    Arlene--mine were supermarket ones and they were still yummy. You must try the salt/chocolate combo--just go light on the salt! Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)