Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vitamix 10-Minute Thai Creamy Tomato Soup for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

Most weeks the whole process of making soup, the chopping, sauteing, simmering and seasoning is relaxing and enjoyable, and then there are weeks like this one when all of that seems way too much effort. Like this week, I had a soup all planned out and yesterday I ended up getting up early, was out running around, hanging out with friends, eating a really late lunch and in no mood to slow cook a heavy pot of soup when I got home. Instead I opted for an easy but delicious, Vitamix 10-Minute Thai Cream of Tomato Soup for which I owe credit to the wonderful Jenn at The Leftover Queen. Jenn posted about her love for her new Vitamix blender and a Creamy Tomato Soup she made in it. (Here) Reading her post, I became a bit jealous of Jenn's new relationship with her Vitamix as I have had mine for a few years now. Me and my Vitamix have a good solid relationship, we see each other at least every day, but mostly I grunt at it in the morning as I dump the ingredients for my green smoothie into it, or we spend some brief time together as I whip up a quick salad dressing, or put the small dry container on to make nut flour. But there is no spark, or heat in the relationship anymore. ;-) I have made plenty of cold soups in it lately but needed Jenn's reminder that it makes a darn good hot soup as well. After all, watching the demonstrator at Costco make a hot tortilla soup was one of the reasons I made the investment in the Vitamix to begin with, so I was determined to put some heat and spice back into my blending.


Jenn's recipe looked fantastic and simple with a carton of drained Pomi tomatoes, some jarred roasted red peppers, a dash of cream, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. I chose to keep the tomatoes and pepper but made it non-dairy by adding some coconut milk to replace the cream and that of course conjured up Thai flavorings like kaffir lime and lemongrass. The soup itself only takes about 5 minutes to puree and cook with the friction of the blender but with gathering and a quick chopping of a few of the ingredients it was about 10 minutes total.


10-Minute Thai Creamy Tomato Soup
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen (inspired by The Leftover Queen)
(Makes two servings--just under 4 cups)

1 box of Pomi diced tomatoes, strained off about 1/2 the juice
about the equivalent of 1 1/2 roasted red peppers (jarred organic)
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
2 lemon grass stalks, outer skins removed and chopped
3 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tsp sambal oelek (red chili paste)
dash black pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro and extra lime wedges for garnish

Put all ingredients into the Vitmix and blend on high for about 4 minutes until steam starts to rise from lid. Serve immediately garnished with a tablespoon of chopped cilantro and a lime wedge.


Notes/Results: Delicious! So much flavor for such a quick soup. Since I had such a late lunch, a big cup of this soup and some sesame rice crackers was the perfect light dinner. Lightly spicy, nicely tangy and thick and creamy, not to mention healthy--where as this soup been all my life? Thanks to Jenn for the idea and inspiration, I foresee much more heat and spice with my Vitamix. If you don't have a Vitamix or high power / high speed blender, you can make a similar soup (it will just take a bit longer) by thoroughly blending all of the ingredients except the coconut milk in a blender until smooth, then heating it in a pot over medium-high heat until hot, turn down to simmer, stir in coconut milk and heat through. You can also make it vegan by omitting the fish sauce and adding a bit of soy sauce instead. By the way, the soup is excellent cold too--as I discovered eating some for breakfast this morning. A keeper recipe for sure.



Let's see who is in the Souper Sunday kitchen this week.

The lovely Graziana from Erbe in Cucina is back this week with a classic Stracciatella (Egg Soup) to share. She says, "I was on my way home during a cold morning, and I really needed a hot meal. More: hot and nourishing. And tasty too, of course. Uhm, maybe with an aromatic fresh herb from my garden... I remembered Stracciatella, a traditional Italian egg soup that I often ate as a child, when my mother served me with very small puffs. When I was a child, I admit that the puffs were the most exciting part of the dinner, but now this hot soup was all that I needed."



Chaya from Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog has two soups to share this week. The first is this Baked Potato Soup adapted from Paula Dean. She says, "This is the most phenomenal soup. It is smooth and creamy and rich in taste. We finished off the whole thing, in one sitting. I used Paula Dee’s recipe but cut back on some of the less healthy ingredients. The soup was hearty and warming on a cool night. The flavor was full-bodied and because of the vegetable broth, the color of the soup was golden. It passed all tests, visual, taste and texture."


Chaya follows that up with "The Swimming Salmon Soup". She says, "The idea for this soup came from elsewhere but as usual, I ended up miles away from the original. I started out, with the idea of make a salmon casserole with potatoes, mushrooms and spinach and I hope to do this, at another time. I ended up with soup with salmon swimming upstream against the noodles."



So happy to have my buddy Megan from My Baking Adventures here this week with her version of Ina Garten's Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup. Megan says, "This soup, easily made vegetarian by substituting beans for the chicken, was absolutely delicious. In fact, the kids each had a bowl after school today, while I took a 20 minute power nap on the sofa. I used my trusty slow cooker to poach the chicken, instead of roasting it – and used the resulting stock for the soup (a first for me!). I also pureed the soup with my stick blender, to avoid any issues with the kids about chunky stuff."



Let's welcome Iris from The Daily Dietribe, hailing from Brooklyn and joining us for the first time this week. Iris says, "I'd like to contribute my Vegetarian Soup For The Soul. It's a vegetarian, naturally gluten-free recipe that's low-fat, low-calorie, and tastes amazing! This soup tastes so good, I'm making another batch for dinner tonight. In fact, I can honestly say that this is my favorite soup that I've made so far." Nice to have you at Souper Sundays Iris!



Kait from Pots and Plots has a hearty, healthy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup this week to share. Kait says, "I’ve been on the search for a new veggie soup that’s not my usual tomato or roasted red pepper. Butternut squash seemed to be the ticket. I keep trying to find a way to eat it that I like (as my butternut squash oven fries didn’t turn out the way I liked), and I think I finally found it. This soup is light, creamy, and reminds me a bit of my zucchini chowder, but sweeter."



Natashya of Living in the Kitchen of Puppies has a lovely Cream of Broccoli Soup with Wild Mushrooms this week. She says, "I promise you that is not ketchup all over my cream of broccoli soup. I was trying to be fancy and puréed some roasted red peppers and drizzled them coulis-style all over the soup. Quite delicious, really a lovely addition to the already very tasty soup... and looks alarmingly like ketchup in the photo. Oh well. The soup is actually fairly light and delicate for a cream soup. I love the meatiness that the generous serving of mushrooms gives to the soup, making it more of a meal than a starter."



Lee Ann from Mangos, Chili and Z says about her combo this week, "We all know we have to do it every once in awhile. Get those noses out of the cookbooks and eyes off the food blogs. We have to stop looking for our next great creation and walk over to that refrigerator, drag out all that unused produce and use it up before it goes bad. Meet The Soup and The Salad. This is how I use up all of those vegetables. The soup is just a good old healthy vegetable soup and the easiest thing in the world to make and so flexible and variable. All you need is brothy liquid of your choice, tomatoey liquid, seasonings and vegetables. And the same theory for the salad. Use those greens that are sitting in the produce bin in the fridge. So there you have it, a delicious and healthy dinner in about 30 minutes."


And we have one sandwich this week, Joanne from Eats Well With Others has some zesty Texas Barbecue Sauce Pulled Pork on a Whole Wheat Bun to share. Joanne says, "You just actually can't get any better than pulled pork. In my opinion. It is my meat of choice. All day. All the time. For the rest of my life. I used the crockpot method but this time instead of using storebought barbecue sauce, I decided to make my own. No high fructose corn syrup crap for me. Instead, I made this Texas Barbecue Sauce Recipe from Bon Appetit. The only thing I changed was to use tomato sauce instead of ketchup (The smell of ketchup makes me gag. So there is no way it is allowed in my kitchen. Ever.) And it was fantastic. Just the right amount of sweet and spicy to make me swoon."



Some incredible soups, a soup-salad combo and even a delicious sammy! Thanks to all who participated in Souper Sundays this week. If you have a soup, salad or sandwich you would like to share, just click on the logo on the side bar for all the details.

Have a great week!

17 comments:

Iris said...

Thanks for welcoming me! I'm glad I found this carnival because I LOVE soup!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I adore all of the exotic flavors and aromatics of the tomato soup. I'll have to look into the vitamix, I feel like I'm missing out.

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Wow, 10 minute soup!
I love Thai flavours, and now I really want a Vitamix!
Looks delish, great photos and yummy round-up. Thanks Deb!

Mary said...

All the soups look wonderful, Deb. I love the addition of Thai flavors to your basic tomato soup.

Kathleen said...

What a great round up! Love your tomato soup

Megan said...

As always, lots of healthy choices - thanks for including me in the round up!

Chow and Chatter said...

oh wow cool soup and so easy to make love and great pictures thanks for wishing me a nice trip LOL rebecca

Joanne said...

Only ten minutes for this delicious soup! Crazy stuff. That Vitamix blender is a miracle worker.

I love that you added coconut milk to the soup - what a great twist.

And excellent round-up!

Lea Ann said...

I think that's the mixer that Thomas Keller lists in his items he wouldn't live without in the kitchen. That soup looks so good and thanks for including me in Souper Sunday. Thanks Deb.

Lori said...

I've been hearing a lot about the vitamix blender. The Thai soup sounds wonderful and I love your set in pictures with the shadows.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Another AWESOME tomato soup variety! I love it! I love my vitamix too - thanks for the shout out Deb!

Kim said...

Another great roundup! I've never heard of the vitamix before and now I'm off to look it up. Your tomato soup looks beautiful in the pictures.

5 Star Foodie said...

The tomato soup looks fantastic and I love all the soups in the round up!

I'll be away on a mini vacation later this week and through the weekend but I scheduled to post a soup - I'd love it if you include it in a round up (you can grab the pic off my site?) Thanks!

Pam said...

I bookmarked this when Jenn made it, and I'm bookmarking it again! One of these days I'm actually going to make it!

Sook said...

What a great list! The first one, Thai tomato soup sounds amazing! I like anything Thai. Thai food has such a great flavor that I cannot resist. :)

Foodycat said...

It has never occurred to me to do Thai flavours in a tomato soup - absolute genius! I will definitely try that!

Danielle said...

I'm cracking up now....look what's in the ingredients for you wonderful soup....lemongrass (was also looking for a recipe for fresh lemongrass so I could try it). YEAH!!