Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spaghetti with Shaved Asparagus

Here I was, happy in my own brilliance ;-) and thinking how original I was to shave asparagus to top my Asparagus-Lemongrass Bisque with Herb Pesto and Spiced Almonds, my entry for the latest Foodie Blogroll's Royal Foodie Joust. Then I open April's Everyday Food Magazine, on my neglected magazine pile, and find a recipe for Spaghetti with Shaved Asparagus. Martha Stewart and company are always two steps ahead!  It sounded like the perfect light dinner for Spring, so I tried it with a couple of healthy changes.

Spaghetti with Shaved Asparagus
Everyday Food Magazine, April 2009
(Serves 4 / Total Time 25 minutes)

Note: Use a vegetable peeler to create asparagus ribbons and Parmesan shavings. You can substitute another firm cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or ricotta salata.

coarse salt and ground pepper
12 ounces spaghetti
1 bunch (1 pound) asparagus, tough ends removed, shaved with a vegetable peeler
4 strips lemon zest, thinly sliced plus 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 Tbsp butter 
1 ounce Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Add asparagus and lemon zest to pot; immediately drain pasta mixture, and return to pot. Add butter and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce. Top with Parmesan.

Nutrition Info: (per serving): 476 cal; 14.7g fat (8.7g sat fat), 16.5g protein, 69g carbs, 5.4g fiber. 

Notes/Results: It is amazing just how good a few simple ingredients can taste together. This is a perfect blend of flavors and textures, and a great, easy dinner. I just made a single portion and I used whole-wheat spaghetti to up the fiber content and added just a touch of olive oil instead of the butter to make it a more healthy fat and upped the amount of lemon juice and zest for my one serving. Mixed with the lemon and pasta water, I didn't miss the butter at all. The only downside was wasting a bit of asparagus to get thin peels, (once you get near the finish of the stalk, it becomes a bit tough to shave it neatly, without breaking it up). Overall this one is a winner and a keeper recipe.

Since this is a simple, delicious pasta dish, I am sending it along to Presto Pasta Nights, being hosted this week by Marye of Baking Delights. Marye will be doing the round up this Friday on her blog.


  1. Looks delicious and Martha Stewart must have read your mind ;-)

    Thanks for sharing with Presto pasta Nights. I love it when you do.

  2. I actually think she copied you !! Your spaghetti look super !!

  3. Isn't it funny when the same ideas float through the cosmos. I am often surprised at how often I am cooking the same thing as someone else in the blogosphere. The pasta looks great - I will defintely try it (asparagus is one of my can't go past ingredients!)

  4. simple is delicious (most of the time) ;) this looks and sounds wonderful!

  5. boo to martha stealing your mojo! Your bisque was brilliant.

  6. LOL...that's so funny and seriously, I do that quite often. Your shaved asparagus looks perfect for Spring!

  7. Haha, I think that IS indeed quite brilliant of you! Asparagus is quite pricey where I live, so shaving it is such a great way of stretching the dollar. Gorgeous dish!

  8. Dear Deb,

    I admire your recipes...I am thinking of downloading them to an old fashioned cooked book. You feature some really unique "stuff". Thank you also for your encouraging comments on my blog....Hawaii No Ka Oe!


  9. Hey busy lady, when you get to Hilo, let me know!

  10. Simple, healthy pasta - three words that make a perfect dish!

  11. This looks awesome. I just had shaved asparagus for the first time at Babbo and it was so good.

  12. It looks awesome! I love asparagus.

  13. OK, how did I miss this? When noodles are my favourite thing!?!
    Looks wonderful, I know that you made it for me. Thanks! I will have an extra big bowl.
    ps, the only way to get Martha to stop reading your mind is to wear a tin foil hat. Cover the windows first, the neighbours tend to stare.


Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)